Fraud Security Analyst, Insider Threat at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 68 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Security Operations Team
Security is a primary competency at Coinbase, and the Security Operations team keeps a watchful eye over every aspect of it. Every day, we go to battle against some of the most sophisticated attackers in the world to protect billions of dollars worth of digital assets and ensure that our customers and employees can enjoy a safe, trusted experience. As Coinbase scales globally, the Security Operations team is scaling along with it, using a blend of tooling, automation, and strategic team growth to ensure that we’re well-equipped to protect the next billion users of crypto.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
The Security Operations group is a multi-functional organization that includes CSIRT, Trust & Safety, Threat Intelligence, and Insider Threat. While no two days will end up looking the same, generally-speaking you’ll be responsible for the following things:
- Collaborating cross-functionally throughout the company (Security, Legal, HR, and Business Teams) to design, implement, and execute processes to safeguard our customers and company from potential insider risks and threat actors
- Serving as the ‘front line’ for detection efforts, reviewing alerts, escalating reports and analysis, and making recommendations for further investigation and mitigation efforts
- Analyzing and challenging security assumptions and identify vulnerabilities in technologies and processes...and then building the solutions to address them
- Supporting the team’s effort to educate our employees, contractors, and partners on the importance of being vigilant in their work and home security practices
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
Some security teams have strict requirements about certifications, degrees, years of experience, and things like that. Not us! We’re more interested in the unique perspectives and expertise you’ll bring to the team, rather than the acronyms on your resume. However, you’ll be much more likely to be successful in this role if these bullet points seem like a good description of you:
- 3+ years of combined experience in security/analytic roles, preferably in the financial sector or ‘follow the money’ roles
- Enjoy blockchain, crypto, and detailed analysis Strategically aware of the insider threat landscape, and can adapt that knowledge into tactical actions to reduce risk in a measurable way
- Discreet, thoughtful, and seek to coordinate systemic, cross functional solutions to mitigate risk
- Enjoy crafting and reviewing alerts, conducting analysis for improvements, and documenting findings
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Other team members ask for your input to communicate clearly and concisely
- Strength in composing briefs and assessments consumed by leadership
- Prefer to play as a team and want to engage with colleagues through 1on1s, presentations, and written products
- Understanding everyone makes mistakes. Your high degree of compassion means that your coworkers trust you to help tackle their security problems, because you never come across as judgmental or condescending
Nice to haves:
- Bring a diverse perspective to the team: for example, maybe you took an unconventional route to get into your current security career.
- Experience with Insider Threat technologies a plus (such as Security Information Event Management - SIEM, User Behavioral Analytics - UBA, Data Loss Prevention - DLP) and an understanding of investigations and/or the intelligence cycle
- Love crafting metrics that make the intangible tangible
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: data protection, risk management, counterintelligence, fraud detection, intellectual property theft, access and identity management, or security engineering
- Security/investigations certifications are not required but are always a plus (SANS, CompTIA, ISACA, CFE, etc)
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.