Fabric R&D Manager at FIGS
FIGS is hiring a Fabric R&D Manager to support the development of fabric in alignment with sourcing, cost and lead time strategy. This role requires strong strategic, technical and inspirational leadership qualities with a proven track record of driving material development strategies balancing aesthetic, quality, function, cost and responsive needs.
- Work with the design team and Fabric RD Director on the new novelty and core updates for key meetings and seasonal presentations
- Source, research and develop fabrics originating from global markets and communicate findings to the brand including; actual samples, costing, lead-times and all required FDS information
- Work directly and closely with the mills to ensure developments are implemented within the guidelines of design integrity, as well as product and sourcing strategy
- Excellent communication skills with an ability to partner effectively with designers, mills, vendors and production partners
- Collaborate between internal teams, mills, and suppliers to meet calendar deadlines and price targets surrounding fabric sourcing and development
- Review incoming developments and make comments based on design feedback
- Develop and maintain relationships with mills and suppliers to ensure successful business partnership
- Support the cross functional teams at the fabric level of new projects (CSI, 3D modelling etc.)
- Organize and maintain fabric development (WIP) and benchmarking tools
- Ensure all fabrications meet FIGS performance attributes, testing requirements and sustainability requirements to support marketing claims (wicking, odor management, UPF, etc)
- Ensure on time delivery of materials to various production facilities by maintaining fabric WIP reports
- Build and maintain a fabric library of core/new fabrics in the office
- 4-6 years of experience in fabric R&D
- 1-2 years of management experience
- Good technical knowledge of fabric, yarn, dyeing, functional finishing processes and its testing standards
- Proficient in GSuite, Google Slides and Google Sheets/Excel preferred
- Ability to build strong relationships & maintain alignment with internal & external, cross functional partners
- Agile and Flexible- our pace and process is fast and every changing, must be able to manage multiple projects and problems under time pressure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Previous experience on activewear/functional fabrics
- Degree in Fashion, Textile, Product Development or similar field
- Sustainability experience
- Experience with CLO
A little bit about us…
The medical apparel industry is antiquated, highly fragmented and, until FIGS, was driven solely by low-cost providers offering a limited selection of poor quality products sold through third party distributors. FIGS is revolutionizing the medical apparel industry by creating the highest quality medical apparel in the world and by selling directly to medical professionals through our branded ecommerce site.
FIGS’ foundation is built on product quality, and we have a relentless focus on three key areas: fabric, fit and function. We developed our proprietary, performance-oriented fabric technology to meet the demands of the medical profession. FIGS’ Technical Collection fabric is wrinkle resistant, moisture-wicking, lightweight, breathable and offers four-way stretch. Our designs are tailored, sophisticated and innovative, incorporating features such as yoga waistbands, smart storage (pockets, zippers, hidden pockets) and inspirational sayings inside each garment that appeal to modern healthcare professionals.
By offering a branded and customer-centric online shopping experience, we are changing how medical professionals buy their workwear. Through our website, social media, and participation in medical conferences and events, we have built a strong following within the medical community and a meaningful connection with our customers, which allows us to understand their needs and to ensure that FIGS is continuously improving and innovating.
FIGS’ Threads for Threads initiative is central to our mission. FIGS has donated hundreds of thousands of scrubs to healthcare providers in need around the world.