Executive Director, We The Action at Civic Nation (Remote)
We The Action, an initiative of Civic Nation, seeks a dynamic and strategic leader to spearhead the next chapter of this growing initiative as it carries out its mission. We The Action (WTA) is a national community of volunteer lawyers working together to advance social justice nationwide.
The Executive Director will build on the strong foundation that WTA has laid over the last five years, developing a strategic vision to expand the profile of WTA’s work and deepen its impact. They will manage and empower a high-performing team of seven staff and oversee strategic growth as the initiative scales its impact on critical and urgent issues. The Executive Director will also be responsible for overseeing the administration of the initiative and serving as a key representative to external partners, funders, and other stakeholders, as well as with Civic Nation’s senior leadership and Board of Directors.
ABOUT WE THE ACTION
We The Action was founded on the fundamental premise that lawyers have the power to do good. Since launching in 2017, more than 40,000 lawyers have joined WTA to apply their specialized skills and experience to over 450 nonprofit organizations working on the nation’s most pressing problems—fair elections, civil rights, immigration, racial justice, gender equity, environmental protection, gun violence, and more.
WTA's platform makes it easy for lawyers to find volunteer projects that match their skills, interests, and availability, and alleviates many of the burdens nonprofits commonly face in volunteer management. In just four years, WTA has grown dramatically to a community of over 40,000 lawyers nationwide that has given more than $100 million in volunteer time to high-impact partners like the Election Protection Coalition, NAACP Legal Defense & Educational Fund, When We All Vote, Giffords Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, Rock The Vote, and Immigration Justice Campaign.
ABOUT CIVIC NATION
Civic Nation is a home for changemakers who inspire, educate, and activate people around the issues that will define this generation. We empower people to take on the biggest challenges of our time — strengthening democracy; foster civic engagement, social justice and voter participation; addressing public health crises; fighting for gender equity; and more. At Civic Nation we house some of the most innovative campaigns organizing for progress across the country including ALL IN Campus Democracy Challenge, It’s On Us, Made to Save, We The Action, End Rape on Campus, The United State of Women, and When We All Vote, co-chaired by Michelle Obama.
Civic Nation drives real, meaningful change by shifting culture, systems, and policy. We organize at every level and serve as a connector — of people and programs, of grassroots activists and leaders of industries and organizations, of ideas and the resources to make them reality. Our goal is to empower individuals, companies, institutions, and organizations to create a more inclusive, equitable America.
- Lead a fast-growing organization through change and foster the growth of an online volunteer community.
- Oversee the creation of high-impact projects, recruitment and onboarding of leading nonprofit partners, and scaling the growth of WTA’s community of legal volunteers.
- Oversee the hiring and retention of staff, including ongoing staff development, performance management, and compensation, with support and partnership from Civic Nation leadership.
- Advise and support development team on fundraising strategy, funding proposals and reports, and funder prospecting.
- Lead the development of a new advisory council to support and amplify WTAs impact.
- Lead strategic planning and program execution, including the development of the strategic plan; establishing performance metrics to analyze and support decision-making; monitoring timely progress and success; and, ultimately, achieving established objectives.
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of WTA, including actively engaging in fiscal management through budgetary development and oversight.
- Oversee technology platform development by setting strategic and budgetary priorities for WTA and technology teams.
- Secure strategic partnerships with organizations, individuals, and entities to increase We The Action’s impact, visibility, and credibility.
- Participate in Civic Nation leadership meetings; report on the organization’s results to the Civic Nation CEO.
- Support Civic Nation CEO and the CN Development team in fundraising for WTA.
- 10+ years of relevant leadership experience including the management of high-performing teams.
- 3+ years of experience scaling and leading a high-performing organization, program, department, or team.
- Experience overseeing all aspects of strategic planning, organizational and individual goal-setting, including establishing metrics for success for departments and individuals, timelines for execution, and performance evaluation.
- Proven experience managing and overseeing a programmatic budget.
- Previous experience serving in a leadership role at a nonprofit, pro bono department, legal aid, or has experience with legal volunteerism.
- Law degree required.
- Entrepreneurial, strategic, and solutions-oriented.
- A motivating, supportive, collaborative, decisive, optimistic leader with a proven track record of leading teams to success, scaling organizations for impact, and change management.
- Idealistic, good judgment, practicality, personal kindness, diplomacy, good humor, and generosity of spirit.
- Deep and proven dedication to issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- High sense of responsibility and integrity.
- High degree of comfort with change management within a startup-like environment.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The Washington, DC-based salary range for this position is $150,000 - $200,000 (will be adjusted for cost of labor for the incumbent's work location) annually, commensurate with experience. Our comprehensive benefits plan includes 100% employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance for employees, flexible paid time off, paid family & medical leave, access to a 401k plan, and more.
MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Civic Nation is committed to protecting our employees and our communities from COVID-19. Toward that goal, and in consideration of guidance released by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and a variety of public health authorities and professional organizations, Civic Nation has implemented a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy for its employees.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a term and condition of employment at Civic Nation unless an exemption or deferral has been approved. Individuals are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after they get their second dose of a messenger RNA (mRNA) vaccine, such as Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, or two weeks after a single dose of the Janssen/Johnson & Johnson vaccine.
New employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date unless an exemption due to a medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice is granted.
To apply, submit a cover letter and resume below. The cover letter should be concise, compelling, and include why you would make an excellent Executive Director of We The Action. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
At Civic Nation, diversity, equity, and inclusion are directly aligned with the fundamental belief that people are inherently capable, but often lack opportunity. We know that a diverse workforce allows us to see problems in more nuanced ways, creating the thought leadership needed to fulfill our mission and reach our goals. Civic Nation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply.