Homebound’s mission is to make it possible for anyone, anywhere to build a home using leveraging technology, and we’re already delivering on that mission in places that need it most: communities impacted by natural disasters + communities with massive housing shortages.
With technology behind every step of the process, Homebound delivers unprecedented homeowner experiences + a more efficient build process that will enable us to transform the single family home construction market, and build + rebuild communities along the way.
We are already helping hundreds of homeowners in California and Texas, and with over $70M in capital raised from Thrive, Fifth Wall, Google Ventures, Khosla and more, we are expanding faster than ever to help thousands more. Join us!
Homebound recently launched its Luxury Home Division (HBL), which offers our clients a truly unique and custom home building experience. Homebound’s HBL product requires a cross-functional effort from key departments including Procurement, Finance, A&D, and an amazing field operations team dedicated solely to Luxury Homebuilding.
The ideal candidate has excellent numerical skills and an analytical mindset, and is eager to contribute to the development of a fast-paced, technology-driven construction company. The ideal candidate also has a well-rounded understanding of supply chains, trade and commodity negotiations, market trends, and trade relationship building. This is an exceptional opportunity for a professional estimator looking to work within a highly talented construction operations group.
What You'll Do:
- Manage the RFP process from pre-permit planset involvement to buyout handoff and integration.
- Plan and manage all aspects of bid analysis using takeoffs, pricing models, and bid leveling tools
- Develop Conceptual, Preliminary and Contract budgets for new Luxury Homes.
- Develop and refine pricing models for new Homebound products across existing and emerging Homebound Luxury markets.
- Track historical costs of all bidders, benchmark current budgets, and potential financial risk to develop summarized reports to our Financial team.
- Partner with Network Team to develop trade, supplier, and manufacturer relationships to service all Homebound RFPs and new/existing projects.
- Partner with our design team to help test and determine spec packages/levels.
- Assist in improvement of estimating deliverables with the use of new methods and technologies.
- Help refine processes across the procurement organization based on previous builder experience.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience working as a Luxury residential estimator/project manager with at least 3+ years of experience in an estimating capacity.
- Experience in performing all related estimating activities; including performing quantity take-offs, cost estimates, determining value-engineering, negotiation tactics, establishing conceptual estimates, developing scopes of work, budgets and collaborating with our Luxury project management field staff on custom single family residential projects throughout the United States.
- Experience and comfort with a range of estimating software platforms and approaches; adaptable and flexible across a variety of different tools.
- Competency with Planswift, Excel or Gsheets, and Procore are a plus
- Strong Excel skills and modeling skills.
- Accurately predict and advise on structural and civil requirements from conceptual plans.
- Identify and communicate potential value engineering items, and advise on risks.
- Compile and organize historical data to create and maintain historical pricing.
- Review jobs at close to identify causation of variances from budget to actual.
- Maintain records of progress estimates from conceptual to final.
- Demonstrate technical writing skill commensurate with trade knowledge to develop detailed scopes of work, plan clarifications, requests for proposal, and to communicate requests for information to clients, architects and engineers.
- Expertise in unit costs and the use of resources to establish unit costs.
- Ability to bid level multiple bids on large and complex projects
- Understanding of of the work authorization and submission process in Luxury Homebuilding
- Understanding of AIA contract documents
What You Know:
- That collaboration is an important aspect of procurement.
- How to build a home from the ground up.
- The importance of accurate scopes of work for all trades.
- How to communicate effectively with trade partners to gather all the bids and information needed to complete an robust and accurate proposal
Who You Are:
- A team player who believes in company culture first, with a tenacious attitude.
- Logical and measured, with an analytical mindset and a relentless focus on accurate results.
- A takeoff expert who is data-driven and technologically-inclined.
- A continuous optimizer; always looking for ways to make estimating better, faster, and more efficient.
- A flexible self-starter with the ability to adapt quickly to different estimating methods, product types, and rapidly-changing business requirements.
- One who excels in a startup environment by staying exceptionally organized, not being afraid to take initiative, and willing to jump in and help wherever needed
What Success Looks Like In 3 Months:
- You fully understand Homebound’s estimating methods and philosophy.
- You are helping to build out and maintain our cost database to improve visibility into unit pricing.
- You have the ability to prioritize work based on product type and delivery schedules.
- You are able to work seamlessly across all Homebound departments to provide timely deliverables.
- You have expanded your portfolio and are contributing to other key areas in the procurement org including logistics, purchasing and technology development.
We are focused on building a diverse and inclusive workforce. If you’re excited about this role, but do not meet 100% of the qualifications listed above, we encourage you to apply.
Homebound is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law. Homebound considers all qualified applicants in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
Please review our CCPA policies here.
Read Full Job Description