Director Sustainability, Compliance and Health & Safety at Discover
Discover. A brighter future.
With us, you’ll do meaningful work from Day 1. Our collaborative culture is built on three core behaviors: We Play to Win, We Get Better Every Day & We Succeed Together. And we mean it — we want you to grow and make a difference at one of the world's leading digital banking and payments companies. We value what makes you unique so that you have an opportunity to shine.
Come build your future, while being the reason millions of people find a brighter financial future with Discover.Job Description
What You’ll Do
- Set strategy and roadmaps, make recommendations, and set goals, lead implementation, and communications across the organization for three specific functions.
- Environmental initiatives related to Discover’s overall Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) program.
- Risk and Compliance for Facilities which includes requirements driven by OSHA, SEC, LEED, and Energy Star, internal or external audits and reviews, and vendor management.
- These initiatives are top company priorities and driving associated initiatives to the level of those of our peers and beyond is a critical goal.
- Key member of the Facilities Leadership team, this role will collaborate heavily with senior leadership, as well work with cross-functional teams throughout the company.
How You’ll Do It
- Drive the development of the environmental initiatives in support of Discover's ESG strategy and program. Lead these initiatives including program governance, disclosure strategy, data collection and processes, and KPI development. Work with business units on implementation of key programs, as well as developing pathways to Net Zero operations by a date this role will help establish.
- Develop processes to monitor and track ongoing progress against goals and collaborate with key business functions to ensure operational initiatives are executed in-line with the company's goals. Partner with business groups to identify opportunities, prioritize focus, and operationalize the solutions that are most impactful to employees, customers, policyholders, communities, and our business. Participate with other internal stakeholders and external consultants to develop and publish annual reports, ESG disclosures, investor correspondence, and other ESG related internal and external communication and inquiries.
- Support employee engagement efforts related to environmental initiatives with regular communication through the company’s intranet and educational sessions and create interactive engagement opportunities on ESG for employees.
- Identify and mitigate operational risks across department functions by developing and maintaining policies, processes, procedures, controls, dashboards, and CBP/DR plans to mitigate risk and develop plans to address exposures. The general risk environment includes vendor management, OSHA, CDC, building or fire code, LEED, WELL, and Energy Star as appropriate. Perform self-audits and assessments periodically and as warranted by risk category.
- Responsible for the continued development, support, training, and communications of the company’s Pandemic Health Emergency policy, Facilities Business Continuity plan and all Occupational Safety and Health Administration policies and practices which include understanding all relevant regulatory and business requirements and implementing or maintaining and auditing associated compliance with such requirements. Collaborate with senior leaders from cross functional company teams including Legal, Human Resources, Sourcing, Security, Facilities, and all relevant third parties that are providing in-scope services.
- Create dashboards that organize and present data that succinctly identifies the in-scope risks. KPI’s, and required reporting to demonstrate our compliance, mitigation plan status, and opportunities to be addressed across the following programs: Sustainability, Health and Safety, Vendor Management, and Risk/Compliance. Create and deliver effective presentations to senior management.
Qualifications You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Facilities Management, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of experience in related field in a large organization
- 8+ years of knowledge of ESG in a business context including reporting, climate change, goal setting, and actions to reduce GHG
- In lieu of education, 12+ years of experience in ESG including reporting, climate change, goal setting, and actions to reduce GHG
Bonus Points If You Have
- Master’s Degree in Facilities Management, Finance, Business, or related field
- 8+ years of strong understanding of and expertise with ESG assessments and ratings (MSCI, ISS, Sustainalytics), knowledge of ESG impact on credit ratings
- 8+ years of strategic thinking with advanced verbal/written communications and presentation skills including the ability to articulate and communicate complex investment and sustainability concepts into simple terms clearly and succinctly, as well as the ability to education, persuade, and inspire people to action
- 8+ years of exceptional project management and cross-functional leadership skills, process focused and tested ability to drive collaboration, influence and build trust across functional areas of the organization
- Project Management, Lean Six Sigma or related
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.