The Director will work closely with the claim professional in the unit in which the claim originated investigating the underlying facts and circumstances, analyzing exposure, establishing timely reserves, developing and implementing claim handling and resolution strategies and partnering with all stakeholders for the best total claim outcome.
The individual in this position will strategically oversee claims that generally present over $2 million of exposure and will be responsible for approximately 70 - 85 files. Experience with other professional liability lines is a benefit but not a requirement.
J.D. and a minimum of five years of experience in a law practice focused on professional liability and knowledge of coverage issues arising out of the types of claims to be overseen is highly-preferred but not required.
Additional experience with a carrier is a plus. Ten years overall experience required. The preferred locations for this position are Chicago, New York City, Maitland, FL, Denver or Washington, D.C., however, other locations will be considered. The individual must work in a CNA office.
With more than 50 years of market presence, CNA is recognized as an insurance leader for professionals.
Job Summary: Individual contributor providing claim oversight and litigation management services to one or more claim areas. May directly manage/oversee the most complex claims often requiring specialized interpretation of unusual fact patterns, policy coverages or precedent setting matters. Has ongoing relationship and accountability for the area being served.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities: 1. Oversees the investigations of the most complex claims, including liability and damages, and participates in the determining claim strategy, including if claim should be settled or litigated. Develops and directs the execution of the litigation management strategy.
2. Counsels management on legal risks, claim and litigation strategy and obligations in complex matters.
3. Manages litigation by staff, coverage or outside counsel. Monitors trials, tracks legal and regulatory developments. Advises management and claim professionals regarding issues, approaches and impact of changes.
4. Directs the negotiation of the most complex settlement packages, ensuring adequate reserves and cost effective settlements.
5. Provides research, legal analysis, counsel and guidance on legal or claim handling questions or issues.
6. May participate with senior management in the development and implementation of claims policy and business strategy.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities: 1. Senior level knowledge of the theories, principles, practices and procedures of claim and litigation management within an insurance organization.
2. Excellent technical and product specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Excellent negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to exercise independent judgment, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
7. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
8. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience: 1. JD preferred or equivalent experience.
2. Admission to the bar of at least one state preferred.
3. Typically a minimum of ten years of claims or legal experience with a proven track record of positive results. Five years of experience in an insurance law practice focused in professional liability highly-preferred. Ten years overall experience required. Coverage expertise also preferred. Additional experience with a carrier is a plus.