Founded in 2017, Dutchie is a comprehensive technology platform powering dispensary operations, while providing consumers with safe and easy access to cannabis. Dutchie aims to further support the positive societal change the cannabis industry brings to the world through wellness benefits, social justice, and empowering local communities through tax revenue. Powering thousands of dispensaries across 40+ markets throughout the United States and Canada, Dutchie is the leading technology company in the cannabis space and was named in Fast Company’s 10 Most Innovative Companies in North America and listed two years in a row on LinkedIn’s Top 50 Startups.
Dutchie has raised over $600M in funding to date, backed by D1 Capital Partners, Tiger Global, Dragoneer, DFJ Growth, Thrive Capital, Howard Schultz, Snoop Dogg’s Casa Verde Capital, Gron Ventures, members of the founding team at DoorDash, Kevin Durant’s Thirty Five Ventures, and other notable angel investors.
About the role:
Dutchie is seeking a Director of Risk Strategy and Operations to support our payments business. Dutchie’s payment business is unique as it supports retailers (dispensaries) across two markets (US and Canada) that have different regulatory frameworks based on the federal and local laws related to Cannabis. Dutchie’s core payment products are integrated debit and credit capabilities in Canada and an ACH-based product in the US. Dutchie will continue to build and introduce new products that meet a market’s needs and compliance requirements.
We are looking for a seasoned risk leader that has experience building a risk function from scratch. This would include setting the risk strategy, recommending our bps loss targets by product, and taking the charge on educating the broader organization on all things risk. You will evaluate our current risk capabilities and make recommendations on what other tools (internal or external) we need to invest in.
You will be responsible for building out our risk operations team at Dutchie. This includes building a scalable and repeatable process for risk monitoring. You’ll need to partner externally and internally to build the infrastructure, tools, processes, goals, and team to do this at scale. In addition, you’ll manage the team responsible for managing and optimizing our third-party risk platform. You’ll be responsible for ensuring our policy is translated into rules and the output matches our desired outcome of minimal customer friction with minimal losses.
The Director of Risk Strategy and Operations will join a team committed to ensuring our dispensaries and consumers have a best-in-class experience with our payment products from initial launch through their relationship with Dutchie. The role will partner with risk product, compliance, legal, customer support, analytics, and product marketing to ensure we are educating our internal team members and external customers about risk and the impact to our and their business.
What you’ll do:
- Create best in class customer journeys using Dutchie’s payments products while limiting Dutchie’s exposure to fraud-related losses
- Build out our Risk/Fraud operations team. This team is responsible for managing/optimizing our third-party risk monitoring system (Sift) and transaction monitoring and decisioning.
- Build repeatable, scalable processes to ensure policies are translated to the risk engine. Once implemented, consistently monitor the output to ensure the rules are firing as expected. Continuously optimize the tool to minimize customer impact while minimizing manual transaction reviews.
- Establish effective cross-functional relationships with functional leads and peers across customer support, sales, analytics, product, engineering, and marketing organizations to influence cross-functional prioritization of supporting systems.
- Ensure significant risk changes are communicated internally early and often - especially if it impacts other teams and our customers.
- Partner with the risk product to build a roadmap to achieve business objectives.
- Build a risk monitoring team from scratch. Build the infrastructure, tools, processes, goals to bring this team to life.
- Monitor portfolio performance and conduct deep dives into losses to identify improvement opportunities across the product life cycle. Continuously learn, provide feedback and provide recommendations for policy and rule changes.
- Work closely with product teams on the development of new products or onboard third-party products to fill gaps that might create loss and define requirements to mitigate those risks.
What you bring:
- You have a deep understanding of risk management in multiple areas: fraud strategy, operations, monitoring, and decision making.
- You are an expert in policy optimization, with a strong track record of translating policy to risk rules to optimize the desired outcomes (low customer friction while maintaining low losses)
- You can translate risk terminology into business terms for broad cross-functional communication across multiple levels
- Demonstrated results from vision through strategic planning and operational execution within the risk/fraud
- You have proven facilitation skills and a strong track record of change implementation across multiple teams
- You possess excellent problems solving skills – the ability to tap into a wide range of previous experience, internal and external technologies, and advanced concepts to solve complex, and sometimes conflicting, business objectives across multiple functions
- Be data-driven and outcome-focused
- Competitive Salary
- Full Benefits - Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Flexible vacation and sick days
- Technology (hardware, software, reading materials, etc..) allowance
At Dutchie, we’re committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where equal employment opportunities are available to all applicants and teammates without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Dutchie believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.