Role: Director, Growth Initiatives
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reports To: Chief Growth Officer
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that isn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
We’re seeking a Director, Growth Initiatives to join our team based in Palo Alto. The individual we are looking for is motivated by launching and scaling new business ventures as a true General Manager. This is someone who is not afraid of rolling up their sleeves to quickly determine the potential around different opportunities, and then working with internal and external partners to build the highest potential opportunities into scaled new business lines. This individual thrives on working with multiple stakeholders across an organization, sourcing and building partnerships, and solving highly analytical and operational problems. We're looking for someone who has experience in both management consulting and hands-on experience working within a Tech company.
- You are an owner; you have a proven ability to implement innovations from ideation to execution and scaling, establishing clear directions and objectives in support of business needs
- You have a desire to take initiative, comfort with ambiguity, and a bias towards action
- You are able to collaborate across functional areas and with external partners to define, prioritize and implement key initiatives and to hit or exceed business goals
- You have the intellectual horsepower to think through and address various different business problems in parallel
- You are detail oriented, flexible and have the ability to interact with and influence a diverse set of internal and external stakeholders
- Initiate and prove new venture opportunities in support of Hippo’s core business; lead initiatives end to end, partnering with internal stakeholders and external partners
- Develop business cases to inform leadership of the opportunity, rationale, and operational plan to scale prioritized ventures
- Help drive the operational cadence of various pilots to evaluate and inform the scaling of new strategic initiatives
- Collaborate with multiple cross-functional partners, including product, engineering, sales, design, capital markets, finance and legal
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative analyses and deliver insights to different stakeholders across a variety of business issues
- 10+ years of experience in strategy and business operations in Tech companies. Management consulting experience at a big three firm desired, but not required; will consider equivalent roles in corporate strategy, corporate development, etc.
- Excellent leadership skills. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment and ability to both influence and develop strong partnerships at all levels
- Exceptional business judgment with the ability to create sound frameworks to drive towards decisions and organizational alignment
- Strong business intuition with the ability to understand consumer and partner psychology; ability to read between the lines of both quantitative and qualitative research
- A core analytical skill set: strong quantitative and analytical chops
- Experience in the residential real-estate space desired but not required
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA from top-tier school desired
Compensation and Perks
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly). As well as 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts.
- Flexible Paid Time Off- Uncapped PTO (with manager approval)
- Hippo Habitat- Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits including free parking pass. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.