Director, Global Sanctions and Screening Operations at Circle (Remote)
Circle is a global financial technology firm that enables businesses of all sizes to harness the power of digital currency and public blockchains for payments, commerce and financial applications worldwide. Circle platforms and products provide a suite of internet-native financial services for payments, treasury infrastructure and capital formation. Circle is also a principal developer of USD Coin (USDC), which has become the fastest growing dollar digital currency in the world. USDC has grown to over 53+ billion in circulation and supported over $1.9+ trillion in transactions in the past year. Circle’s payments and treasury infrastructure services available through the Circle Account and APIs helps bridge the legacy financial system and digital currency and blockchain based finance. Circle’s SeedInvest service brings internet-native fundraising and capital formation to startups and growth companies. Combined, Circle’s suite of services helps companies to participate in a more open, global and inclusive financial system.
What you’ll be part of:
With the mission “To raise global economic prosperity through the frictionless exchange of financial value,” Circle was founded on the belief that the internet, blockchains and digital currency will rewire the global economic system, creating a fundamentally more open, inclusive, efficient and integrated world economy. We envision a global economy where people and businesses everywhere can more freely connect and transact with each other with new technologies for digital money and internet-native finance. We believe such a system can raise prosperity for people and companies everywhere. Our mission is powered by the values we espouse and which we expect all Circlers to respect. We are Multistakeholder, serving the needs of our customers, our shareholders, our employees and families, our local communities and our world. Furthermore, we are also Mindful, Driven by Excellence, and High Integrity.
What you’ll be responsible for:
As the Director, Global Sanctions and Screening Operations you will join Circle’s Compliance Operations function, which is responsible for operationalizing Circle’s Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and sanctions programs. You will lead a number of sanctions and screening teams globally, who perform sanctions, politically exposed person (PEP) and adverse media alert reviews on customers and transactions, supporting all Circle’s businesses and legal entities globally.
What you'll work on:
- Overseeing sanctions, PEP and negative news alert review processes for Circle’s various legal entities in the US, Singapore, Ireland, UK and Bermuda.
- Managing and building out teams of analysts performing reviews globally.
- Working closely with the other Compliance Operations and risk teams to ensure screening processes provide adequate coverage, and create efficiencies between teams.
- Coordinating closely with the AML & Sanctions policy team to further develop Circle’s sanctions programs to ensure consistency across geographies while balancing local regulatory requirements and customer experience.
- Providing feedback on the performance of screening systems to ensure coverage of all relevant risks and sanctions requirements, while also maximizing efficiency of reviews.
- Promoting a culture of compliance and operational excellence within the sanctions team.
- Closely following sanctions regulatory, compliance, and enforcement developments in the cryptocurrency industry and beyond to ensure our processes keep pace.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- A passion for harnessing the power of digital currency and blockchain technology and services built on top of it.
- B.A./B.S. degree; quantitative or technical degree a plus.
- 12+ years of relevant experience in AML and sanctions, including 7+ years of experience managing teams.
- Knowledge of global sanctions programs, including reporting and licensing requirements. Knowledge of OFAC, EU and HMT programs is required; knowledge of other programs such as Bermuda and Singapore is a plus.
- Strong operational focus and experience managing large, global teams.
- Deep understanding of payment methods and transaction types, including correspondent banking and merchant acquiring.
- Experience in RegTech or FinTech company or consulting preferred.
- An innovative and creative mind looking to suggest new solutions to old problems.
- Proven experience working collaboratively and effectively with the ability to work with multiple stakeholders and internal teams.
- Experience and comfort working in an ever changing industry and the flexibility to quickly react to changing demands.
- CGSS, CAMS, or CFCS certification is a plus.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.#LI-Remote