Inspire is a clean energy technology company on a mission to transform the way consumers access clean energy and to accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future.
We provide our customers with access to renewable energy from wind, solar, and hydro powered sources without service interruptions or costly installations at a flat, predictable monthly rate. For every year that a customer spends with Inspire Clean Energy, they have a greater impact on climate change than 10 years of strict recycling.
Our rapidly growing team of mission-driven, climate enthusiasts is passionate, innovative and committed to a better future for the planet.
Inspire is on a mission to transform the way consumers access clean energy and accelerate the world’s transition to a net-zero carbon future. To accomplish this, we must build a leading sustainability brand made possible by the partnerships we forge in procuring clean energy and environmental attributes.
Inspire is seeking a leader for the Environmental Commodity desk to drive our procurement strategy towards maximizing the impact of our products while maintaining affordability for consumers.
This role will lead a team and own the full life cycle of the portfolio, partnering with marketing on desired program attributes, developing relationships with asset owners/operators and marketers, enabling counterparties, executing transactions, and managing reporting and retirement requirements for all REC and Carbon Offset obligations.
THE DIRECTOR, ENVIRONMENTAL PRODUCTS HAS FIVE MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Program Development: Work with marketing to align on key Impact and Sustainability product features and develop a procurement strategy to meet these needs through an approach combining standard unbundled REC/Carbon transactions with long term structured PPAs including marketing rights while meeting key criteria regarding source type, location, and vintage
- Pipeline Development: Develop and maintain targeted strategic relationships across the market to increase Inspire’s counterparty breadth and depth
- Portfolio Management: Source, structure, and negotiate commercial terms and ultimately execute counterparty transactions for all compliance and voluntary obligations
- Market Intelligence: Research and maintain knowledge of emerging contract structures, ISO/RTO rules, power market fundamentals, and competitive intelligence on offtake pricing
- Reporting and Retirements: Ensure all reporting and retirement requirements are met to ensure regulatory obligations are met and our annual procurements satisfy our internal standards and third party verification audit and storage technologies to supply firm and dispatchable clean power
SOME YEAR 1 DELIVERABLES
- Work with marketing to finalize procurement standards in the context of commercial implications to support establishing Inspire as a leading sustainability brand
- Assume leadership responsibility for all aspects of the environmental products portfolio management function
- Build a portfolio of structured partnerships which incorporate PPA/vPPA structure and marketing rights into our REC purchasing strategy for both compliance and voluntary purchases
- Establish the carbon offset purchasing strategy to support Q3 launch of carbon neutral natural gas and lifestyle offset offerings
- Meet targets for supply composition as set out by Inspire standards across factors like source, location, structure, marketability and vintage
- Expanded direct counterparty relationships
- Achieve Portfolio cost targets
- All regulatory reporting and third party audit conditions met
- Strong Commercial Instincts
- Exceptional Communication Skills
- Strong organizational, analytical, project, and process management skills
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and relationship management skills
- Must Have
- 8-10 years commercial experience (marketing, trading, brokerage, origination, or any similar role) in the environmental commodities sector
- In-depth knowledge of REC and emissions markets, participants, contract structures, and supply/demand fundamentals
- Proven track record in originating, pricing, structuring, and negotiating power purchase agreements, hedges, and other offtake contracts for wind, solar, and/or energy storage facilities
- Demonstrated ability to tackle large projects methodically and drive outcomes in a business development/corporate development context
- Nice to Have
- Retail energy experience
- Project finance experience
- Both Carbon and REC experience