Consulting Director, Vendor Management Office at CNA
A high level individual contributor role within the Infrastructure area that successfully manages services delivered by one or more external service providers. Ensures clear expectations and scope requirements are provided to vendor partners and CNA teams and that all agreed-upon outcomes are achieved on schedule, within budget and with high quality. Acts as a key point of contact for infrastructure vendors and CNA internally for the assigned area, defining business goals and measurements with the vendors, building and maintaining strong relationships and measuring / monitoring vendor performance to drive continuous improvement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Responsible for and acts as the primary contact person for Infrastructure Vendor(s) regarding respective IT Vendor Management area. Establish objectives and metrics for Infrastructure area and ensures performance against expectations.
- Serves as a primary conduit between vendors and internal stakeholders to ensure business goals and consistent, continuously improved results are delivered, working within the framework of the vendor contract to define outcomes, SLA's and proper, unambiguous measurements for on-going operations and projects that properly incentivize both CNA internal resources and the vendors to perform in CNA's best interest
- Delivers results, creating value for the CNA brand, customers, and key internal stakeholders by ensuring reliable, cost effective and optimized business operations.
- Maintains a keen understanding of vendor contracts and what each clause means operationally, including how the contractual terms and conditions relate to operational activities, including but not limited to understanding variable cost payments, low capital intensity arrangements, penalties / remedies for poor/non-performance, incentives, outcomes-based pricing, etc.
- Measures and monitors vendor performance and constantly reviews outcomes to determine how to change them to continuously drive better results at lower costs and to co-develop capabilities with vendors for the purposes of reducing costs, improving processes and innovating services.
- Clarifies unclear directives and promotes productive and effective issue resolution with service providers and across the IT organization. Troubleshoots performance or contractual problems and works cross-functionally with internal stakeholders at all levels and service providers to recommend and/or employ effective solutions
- Monitors new developments and industry best practices to incorporate into CNA IT and actively and enthusiastically promotes the creative use of information technology to improve innovation, productivity and to enhance customer service across CNA.
- Builds operational relationships that are mutually beneficial and not solely reliant upon managing to the letter of the contract, but creates a vested interest in working together with vendor service providers toward mutually agreed-upon outcomes – utilizing effective and efficient lines of two-way communication, characterized by transparency and trust
- Prepares and manages to an annual budget for this position's areas of responsibility and performs necessary financial tasks to ensure compliance to budget and internal IT controls.
- Manage and monitor transition, transformation and ongoing enhancement project plans, ensuring vendors are completing on time and on budget. Communicated with stakeholders at all levels regarding status and outcomes.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically reports to Assistant Vice President (AVP) or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of infrastructure concepts and knowledge of other IT service areas to ensure IT alignment.
- Superior interpersonal, presentation, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to think analytically, critically and creatively in an outcome-based model to identify viable options from conceptualization to execution and to interact effectively with internal and external business partners at all levels and plan for short and long-term goals.
- Ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a professional image and approach, exercising professional judgement, making decisions and assuming responsibility for decisions which have an impact on people, costs, and the delivery of services.
- Previous experience managing vendor partners with a proven track record of building, developing and managing service delivery and support teams.
- Ability to act with a sense of urgency and accountability while achieving quality results and identifying and resolving problems and issues within the scope of responsibility.
- Detail-orientation with proven analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability to effectively plan and direct multiple projects and project teams.
- Ability to act as a thought leader in researching and presenting innovative ways to solve complex infrastructure related issues, including working with IT Managed Service Providers and other vendor partners with root cause analysis, SLA adherence and outcomes-based results.
- Knowledge of infrastructure engineering and operations, migrating legacy technologies to more modern technologies (cloud migration knowledge preferred). Successful track record in Infrastructure planning and budgeting and exposure to negotiating and determining SLAs and preferred outcomes with IT vendors.
- Acts as a thought leader in researching and presenting innovative ways to solve complex infrastructure related issues, including working with IT Managed Service Providers with root cause analysis and SLA adherence.
- Advanced computer skills including Microsoft Office suite and other business related software.
- Demonstrated experience with various technologies relevant to assigned IT Vendor Management area.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or related work experience.
- Minimum of ten years in Information Technology experience.
- Experience in a business-facing IT role or similar experience providing customer service for an IT service.
- Minimum of five years' experience working with IT vendors and/or Managed Service Providers, preferably in outcome-based models
- Applicable certifications (for assigned IT area) is also preferred .