As one of the largest and most trusted digital asset platforms globally, we are empowering people to experience the life-changing potential of crypto. Trusted by over 8 million consumer and pro traders, institutions, and authorities worldwide - our unique combination of products, services, and global expertise is helping tip the scales towards mass crypto adoption. But we’re only just getting started. We want to be pioneers in crypto and add value to the everyday lives of billions. Now is not the time to sit on the sidelines. Join us to bring crypto to the world.
To ensure Kraken is the right fit for you, please ensure you read Kraken Culture Explained to find out more about us!
This role is based in the British Virgin Islands (“BVI”). As the designated Compliance Officer, you will be responsible for Kraken’s compliance with all applicable requirements under BVI law, and support the firm in identifying and managing regulatory risks. You will build and manage a small team to ensure that Kraken maintains a good regulatory standing in BVI.
The ideal candidate should have experience working in a fintech or exchange trading environment, with a deep understanding of policy frameworks established by the BVI Financial Services Commission (“FSC”), the BVI Securities Investment Business Act (“SIBA”), the Anti-Money Laundering Regulations, and the Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Code of Practice, as well as other applicable virtual asset and sanctions based regulatory frameworks. The ideal candidate will be well-versed in ongoing regulatory and policy discussions in BVI with respect to virtual assets.
- Be responsible for ongoing compliance with all applicable regulatory requirements and provide strategic insights, guidance, and decisions on compliance matters to protect our company, products, and customers.
- Be the primary compliance contact with all regional external partners and maintain partner relationships.
- Gain an in-depth understanding of operational risks (including technology security risk, operational resilience and business continuity), conduct risks and prudential risks in order to build an effective risk monitoring program.
- Coordinate and actively contribute to global and regional risk assessments across various areas of risk including products, services and delivery channels, client and business relationships, geographic locations, new developments and technologies, affiliated entities and identified high-risk areas.
- Be responsible for the submission, or in some instances the oversight of any relevant regulatory reports/ad-hoc filings, transaction reporting, suspicious activity reports and other applications or filings submitted by Kraken to any relevant local regulatory authority.
- Develop, implement and oversee the Compliance Management Program, maintain internal compliance policies, procedures, and processes consistent with regulatory expectations.
- Coordinate and liaise with Kraken Global Compliance to ensure alignment between global, regional and local compliance policies, procedures, and operations.
- Work closely with the Managing Director of BVI and regional leadership to ensure close alignment and operational compliance efficiencies for regional group entities are implemented.
- Support the Product Team for any new product roll-out in the region, by advising on the compliance impact and advocating for compliance controls necessary for a successful and compliant product launch. Provide internal training as required.
- Ensure ongoing maintenance of any regulatory licenses and/or registrations required within your region, this includes proactive identification of future regulatory registrations or licenses.
- Clearly and timely communicate findings, self-identified risks, determinations and recommendations to management and stakeholders, both at periodic intervals and as needed regarding escalated or high-risk compliance issues.
- Previous experience in filing regulatory reports and providing compliance oversight
- Knowledge or experience dealing with the British Virgin Islands Financial Services Commission (“FSC”).
- Comprehensive knowledge of the BVI regulatory environment, developments, and licensing requirements - particularly related to the BVI Financial Services Commission, the BVI Securities Investment Business Act, the Anti-Money Laundering Regulations, and the Anti-Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing Code of Practice.
- Comprehensive knowledge of BVI virtual asset regulatory environment and developments, Broker-Dealer regulatory environment and developments, and relevant registration and licensing requirements for virtual assets and adjacent financial services.
- Tactical experience on how to manage independent audits and regulatory examinations.
- Skilled in collaborating with stakeholders at all levels across technical and non-technical groups.
- Experience developing policies and procedures that ensure hyper-growth innovation is advanced compliantly.
- Undergraduate degree (relevant advanced degrees, such as J.D., L.L.M., M.B.A. or other advanced degree is preferred but not required).
- Advanced professional certifications such as "CAMS", "CFE", etc
- Demonstrable prior experience in relation to the regulation of virtual asset services in BVI or a similar regulatory jurisdiction
- Regulated crypto services experience
- Additional languages
We’re powered by people from around the world with their own unique and diverse experiences. We value all Krakenites and their talents, contributions, and perspectives, regardless of their background. We encourage you to apply for roles where you don't fully meet the listed requirements, especially if you're passionate or knowledgable about crypto!
As an equal opportunity employer we don’t tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind. Whether that’s based on race, ethnicity, age, gender identity, citizenship, religion, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state or local laws.
Stay in the know
Kraken Culture Explained
Follow us on Twitter
Catch up on our blog
Follow us on LinkedIn
More Information on Kraken Digital Asset Exchange
Kraken Digital Asset Exchange operates in the Blockchain industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA. Kraken Digital Asset Exchange was founded in 2011. It has 367 total employees. To see all 215 open jobs at Kraken Digital Asset Exchange, click here.
Read Full Job Description