At any given time, 15 million Americans are experiencing a crisis that requires urgent help from our legal system or government. The right assistance can transform their lives. But today, most never get it. Atticus is a startup on a mission to change that.
We're reinventing a broken space: the $100 billion market for legal services for individuals. Through proprietary technology, a top-tier team, and a network of the nation’s top local law firms, we've taken a rare and exclusive commodity — access to expert legal advice and referrals — and made it free and available to everyone. To clients, we're a source of trusted guidance and an easy way to find and hire a great lawyer. To lawyers, we're a source of vetted clients and a way to build a practice they love while doing good. Today, most of our work involves helping disabled Americans qualify for government benefits. We also help victims of accidents, misconduct, and violence recover by getting compensation from insurance.
We've raised $28 million from top VC firms like Forerunner (Jet, Glossier, Warby Parker) and True Ventures (Peloton, Fitbit, Ring) and helped thousands of people in need (see our 1,800+ five-star reviews). We're small but moving fast — our team of 30 will grow to 60 this year — and we're seeking great people to help in our mission.
Each day, hundreds of people seek our help getting disability benefits or insurance compensation. They’re intimidated by the process, unsure where to turn, and desperate for good advice.
As part of our Client Experience team, your job is to get them on the right path. You’ll spend each day communicating with clients to understand their situation, figure out whether we can help them, and advise them on next steps.
At Atticus, our service is totally free, and clients are desperate for our help — so you'll never have to talk down an angry customer or sell someone a service they don’t want. The interactions are deeply rewarding, and clients are profoundly grateful. But you will have to navigate conversations on deeply personal and sad topics, gently but quickly offer guidance, and handle many different interactions over the course of a day. You'll become an expert on a complex and interesting field, learn to rapidly navigate our internal tech platforms and tools (Salesforce, Front, etc.), and help hundreds of ordinary people (each with a unique story) every week.
Please note: You don’t need any prior legal knowledge or experience to excel in this job.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree from a top four-year university with strong academic performance.
- You care about people and can interact with folks from all walks of life; you’re able to simultaneously be supportive to a person in crisis and quickly drive a conversation.
- You’re a quick learner and a competent writer, able to master complex new topics and platforms when given instruction and support.
- You have a strong work ethic and are capable of juggling multiple competing priorities.
- You’re fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (or medically unable to get the vaccine).
Bonus / Nice-to-Have:
- You’ve previously worked at a fast-growing startup or particularly high-performing service/sales/support team from a company known for great customer service.
- You have completed a socially-focused, hands-on internship or have significant volunteer experience.
- You have experience using Salesforce and/or Front.
We are strongly committed to building a diverse team. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d love to meet you.
This is a rare opportunity to join a startup that has strong traction (substantial funding, well-respected backers, tremendous growth, and many happy customers) but is still small enough that you can have a huge impact and play a role in shaping our culture.
We’re a certified B Corporation tackling a critical social problem. Our mission to help people in need drives everything we do, and your work here will touch many lives.
We offer competitive pay — including equity — and generous benefits:
- Medical and dental insurance with 100% of employee premiums covered
- 15 vacation days & 16 paid holidays each year
- Free membership to OneMedical
- $1,000/year reimbursable stipend for education and training outside of work
- $600/year reimbursable stipend for exercise and fitness
- Up to $1,200/year student loan repayment assistance
- 401(k) and optional HSA
- Free snacks, drinks, weekly lunches, and regular team dinners/events/retreats
- Humble, thoughtful, smart, fun colleagues
Location & COVID-19
When the pandemic started, we immediately shifted to fully remote to protect our team. (Thankfully we always had a few remote employees, which made the transition fairly easy. We’ve always been well-funded and work in a field that’s essentially recession-proof, so we weathered the pandemic better than most.)
Today, everyone on the team is vaccinated, we’ve reopened our office in Los Angeles, and we opened our Phoenix-area office last Fall.
What you can expect going forward:
- If based in Phoenix, you’ll work out of our Phoenix office (with flexibility to work remotely). Vaccinations are (and always will be) required for all employees.
- If a COVID-19 variant emerges that’s life-threatening for vaccinated people, we’ll return to fully remote and make this job work-from-home temporarily.
(Note: We sometimes get asked about medical exemptions for COVID vaccination. Of course we’d make an exception for anyone who is medically unable to get the vaccine. But current CDC guidance is that almost no one falls into this category: the only groups advised not to be vaccinated are folks with a severe allergy to both polyethylene glycol and polysorbate, or who have a documented history of anaphylactic shock from past vaccines. We’re willing to consider good-faith reasons, but please know that for us this is a workplace safety issue and our bar is high when it comes to protecting our team.)
How to Apply
Use the short form below. Questions? Email [email protected].