Claims Specialist (Cyber/Tech/Media/Miscellaneous Professional Liability E&O) at CNA
CNA is one of the premier providers of professional liability insurance.
We are seeking a talented Claim Specialist for our Technology, Media, Cyber, Fidelity, Professional Liability team. The individual in this position will have primary responsibility for handling first-party cyber matters and the potential for also handling Tech and Media E&O claims, along with fidelity matters. The policies are written for a diverse portfolio of businesses over several industries while forms and limits will vary. The coverage issues can be complex in nature and may involve high-dollar exposures with multiple coverage triggers for any single incident.
We seek an individual who has an appreciation for the customer and ensures best-in-class service, response and is accustomed to acting with a sense of urgency. The individual must be organized, able to pivot amongst competing prioritized tasks during the day and must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ideal candidate will be an attorney with cyber or duty-to-defend coverage experience and demonstrated ability to handle a high-volume pending with varying plans of action in place to drive files to resolution and closure. Proven claims management experience is a plus.
Locations : Chicago, IL, New York (New York City, Tarrytown, Melville), Princeton, NJ, Dallas or Austin, TX offices, but open to other office locations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Interprets complex or unusual policy coverage issues and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Sets follow-up activities, evaluates matters early for reserves and authorizes payments within scope of authority. Ensures issuance of disbursements while managing loss costs and expenses.
3. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims and suits through contact with insureds, claimants, business partners, witnesses and experts. Seeks early resolution opportunities. Identifies files that have potential fraud and refers to SIU.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills to develop complex settlement packages.
5. Identifies claims with third party recovery potential and coordinates with subrogation/salvage unit.
6. Partners with attorneys, account representatives, agents, underwriters, doctors, nurse case managers and insureds to develop a focused strategy for timely and cost effective resolution of more complex claims.
7. Analyzes claims activities. Prepares and presents reports for management. May be responsible for special projects and presentations.
8. Responsible for input of data that accurately reflects claim circumstances and other information important to our business outcomes.
9. May provide guidance and assistance to other claims staff and functional areas.
10. Keeps current on state/territory regulations and issues as well as industry activity and trends.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or Director
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrated technical expertise and product specific knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, communication and negotiation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently, managing time and resources to accomplish multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills enabling viable alternative solutions.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgement and make critical business decisions effectively assessing the merits of claims as well as evaluating claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
7. Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
8. Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas.
9. Ability to fully comprehend claim information; and to further articulate analyses of claims in internal reports.
10. Ability to handle claims with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations such as JD preferred.
2. Typically a minimum three to five years claims experience.