Claims Representative (Lawyers) at CNA
CNA's Specialty Professional Services Program Lawyers team is currently recruiting for a Claim Representative to handle lower exposure matters in the unit. The current focus of the position will support Lawyers Professional Liability.
Under technical direction, the Claim Representative will handle disciplinary matters, subpoena assistance requests, and low exposure potential claims for multiple states . This individual will work with specified limits of authority and will work on investigations and coverage evaluations of matters tendered, as well as direction and supervision of defense counsel.
The Claim Representative will utilize claims policies and guidelines, provide direct coverage information to insureds, draft coverage letters, investigate incidents, retain and periodically direct defense counsel to assist with investigation as warranted. On a limited basis, determine liability, damages and potential exposure, direct defense counsel and negotiate and settle claims.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Interprets policy coverages and determines if coverages apply to claims submitted, escalating issues as needed.
2. Sets reserves and authorizes payment within scope of authority.
3. Coordinates and performs investigations and evaluates claims through contact with insureds, claimants, witnesses and experts.
4. Utilizes negotiation skills.
5. Works with attorneys, agents, brokers and insureds regarding the handling and/or disposition of claims.
6. Analyzes claim activities and documents files properly.
7. Input information into claims systems.
8. May provide guidance and assistance to other claims staff and functional areas.
9. Keeps current on state/territory regulations issues, claims licensing and industry activity and trends.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities Required
1. Solid knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Demonstrates technical knowledge.
3. Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication and negotiation skills. Must have the ability to effectively interact with CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Ability to work independently.
5. Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
6. Ability to exercise independent judgment and make critical business decisions effectively.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite as well as other business-related software.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
2. Completion of a formal claims training program or minimum six months of claims experience. One to two years of claim experience preferred.