CNA is seeking a Claims Director for its NICO Oversight Team. This role is an individual contributor providing claim oversight and litigation management services relating to CNA's legacy asbestos and pollution claims. This individual will have a lead role in engaging directly with a third-party claim administrator who has assumed the direct claim handling and other administrative responsibilities for those claims, and will seek to establish greater transparency into the claims and meaningful involvement in targeted and/or high exposure accounts. This individual will assist in the company's day-to-day oversight and overall assessment of these matters, and shall be involved in development of CNA's long-term strategic approach to resolve them within the current reserve. This individual will partner with other CNA business units and be a subject matter expert regarding the TPA agreement and the company's asbestos and pollution book.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Oversees claim handling and litigation management for asbestos and pollution claims handled by third-party claim administrator. Develops substantial expertise in asbestos and pollution claims.
2. Becomes subject matter expert regarding complex TPA agreement and relationship with third-party claim administrator. Able to explain details to senior management and internal business partners and to advise company on related business decisions.
3. Ensures services by third-party claim administrator are performed in accordance with corporate policy, strategic direction and contract provisions. Diagnoses need for changes and improvements where applicable and takes lead role in providing direction to third-party claim administer.
4. Oversees the most complex claim investigations, including liability, damages and coverage. Determines overall claim strategy, monitors developments and provides guidance to resolve claims. Provides confident and well-informed direction to third-party administrator.
5. Manages overall litigation strategy on claims, coverage or outside counsel by monitoring trials, tracking legal and regulatory developments, advising management and claim professionals regarding issues, approaches and impact of changes. Sees the big picture and takes it into account when overseeing the book as a whole.
6. Takes a lead role in CNA's annual ground-up reserve study with respect to legacy asbestos and pollution claims, collaborating closely with claim, legal, and actuarial partners. Demonstrates excellent judgment with respect to reserving decisions.
7. Engages directly with counsel representing CNA on coverage issues; provides insight and helps develop legal positions by conducting research and legal analysis and by providing clear direction on complex legal or claim handling questions or issues.
8. Provides meaningful counsel to senior management in the development and implementation of short and long-term strategy for legacy asbestos and pollution claims.
9. Tracks, interprets and communicates claim and financial data by working with Actuaries and Claim. Becomes proficient in relevant claim systems and applications. Provides clear, concise, and thorough reports on significant developments to senior management.
10. Monitors emerging trends by remaining current on industry news and developments within functional area of expertise, sharing information with management, internal and external business partners as appropriate.
11. Demonstrates leadership and good judgment, while contributing to a culture of inclusiveness, teamwork, and employee engagement. Dedicated to continuous process improvement.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level knowledge of the claim and litigation management function within an insurance organization, specifically as to long tail asbestos and/or pollution claims.
2. Advanced technical and product specific expertise, claims resolution skill and knowledge of insurance and claims principles, practices and procedures.
3. Strong communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact credibly with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
4. Excellent negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills.
5. Ability to exercise independent judgment and to take ownership of complex projects, keeping senior management involved as necessary but be responsible for independent decision making where appropriate.
6. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
7. Ability to adapt to change and value diverse opinions and ideas. Be a role model for an inclusive and collaborative work environment.
8. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
9. Ability to evaluate complex claims based on a cost benefit analysis.
10. Ability to fully comprehend complex claim facts and issues; and to further articulate analyses of claims in presentations to business partners and management as well as in internal reports.
11. Strong written communication skills.
12. Ability to implement strategies with a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with JD preferred
2. Admission to the bar of at least one state preferred.
3. Typically a minimum ten years claims experience.