Claims Consultant - EMTC at CNA
Location: Princeton or Warren NJ, Glastonbury, CT, Chicago, IL, Los Angeles, CA but also open to other locations.
Individual contributor responsible for overall management of highly complex environmental, molestation and abuse, and mass tort claims. Reviews insurance coverages, investigates and analyzes liability and damages and develops resolution strategy, including negotiating settlement. We will consider an experienced candidate with a strong commercial general liability background.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Negotiates highly complex settlement packages, cost share agreements, sets direct reserves and authorizes payment within scope of authority, settling claims equitably and ensuring timely issuance of disbursements.
- Makes recommendations on claims handling policy and processes to management.
- Manages all types of investigative activity on claims to include contact with insureds, witnesses, experts, agents, etc. as well as assess opportunities for risk transfer.
- Coordinates discovery and litigation strategy with attorneys, including managing complex relationships with multiple parties (i.e. defense and coverage counsel, carriers, etc.).
- Partners with other business groups including reinsurance, law department, operations, legal services and underwriting.
- Maintains compliance with state/federal regulations. Stays current with legal and industry trends.
- Collaborates closely with leadership and teammates in the development and reporting of claim strategy and developments.
- Works with external parties including the insured, broker, defense counsel, other carriers in the management of claims.
- May be responsible for special claims projects and presentations.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Director or above.
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level knowledge of claims and insurance industry theory and practices.
2. Advanced technical and product expertise, claims resolution and knowledge of insurance, and claims principles, practices and procedures.
3. Strong interpersonal communication, negotiation and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external business partners.
4. Advanced analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
5. Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designation preferred.
2. Typically a minimum eight years claims experience focusing on commercial general liability, environmental claims or mass tort.
3. Licensed in required states.