We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Introducing Our Hybrid Working Model
As the future of work evolves, so do we. We have a hybrid model where our roles are open to in-office, flex, or remote work. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
About our Regional Operations team:
The Regional Operations team drives success through local insights and execution, and promotes engagement for all shoppers by working locally to build relationships, understand and address local needs, and support shoppers in serving their customers. Regional Operations works hand-in-hand with other teams to foster a pro-shopper culture and acts as a local partner to multiple cross-functional teams.
Operations is core to Instacart’s success, and as such, our team moves fast and thrives on solving difficult problems. As a City Manager, you’ll drive success and engagement for all shoppers by working locally to build relationships, understand and address stakeholder needs, and act as the operations leader and point of contact for the geography. You will support our Full Service Shoppers, partner closely with retail partners, and drive initiatives that contribute directly to our most important company goals. Depending on the area, you may also manage a team of Site Managers who are responsible for managing in-store shoppers. Our City Managers have a tenacious appetite for driving operational excellence while challenging the status quo.
ABOUT THE JOB
- Lead local strategy – Create and implement operational strategy to win with all relevant stakeholders including shoppers, customers and retailers
- Be an incredible partner – Work with our Operations, Product, Engineering, Business Development, Legal and HR teams to build consensus and execute with precision
- Act like an owner - Achieve growth and profitability goals by diagnosing and resolving challenges swiftly, and seeing around corners to identify problems proactively
- Try new approaches – Use a data-driven approach and marketplace knowledge to identify improvement opportunities, run tests, and continuously improve our best-in-class user experience
- Your role will directly support the efforts of thousands of Full Service Shoppers in your area to ensure flawless service delivery to our customers daily
- You are the face of Instacart to thousands of our shoppers, and will need to balance multiple tasks and competing priorities each day to ensure you are visible to our teams.
- Help build and execute programs to engage and support all Shoppers in your region
- Act as your area’s regional SME and work collaboratively with other operational pIllars on shopper-facing product rollouts and initiatives
- Responsible for all area store metrics and KPIs for in-store shoppers, including: shopper efficiency, quality, staffing, overage, underage, and many others
- Support your team in building their skills and advancing their personal development goals
- Contribute to regional growth through identifying new coverage areas and shopper acquisition strategies
- Develop and manage relationships with the managers of your partner stores
- Problem-solve and troubleshoot daily operational issues, approaching all facets with an analytical, data-driven mindset
- Support local Market Managers and regional General Managers on impactful projects for continued operating efficiency and growth.
- Maintain a high emotional intelligence and ability to work with, coach, and manage a diverse workforce
- Provide an operational perspective to teams at HQ including logistics and community operations to ensure best practices and protocols.
- Most city managers spend anywhere between 15-30% of their time in the field (at retail locations, community events, and more)
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- At least 2 years of people management experience
- Background in operations, finance, consulting, or a similar role at a tech company
- Strong communication skills, can effectively communicate at the corporate and retail level
- Ability to query and analyze data in order to support a data-backed, quantitative approach to decision making
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced and self-motivated environment, enjoys autonomy
- Experience guiding creative solutions to complex problems
- High attention to detail and strong execution skills
- Comfortable with the tools of the trade (eg. Excel, Google Drive)
- Strong critical thinking ability in technical & non-technical issues
- Positive attitude and fortitude to work through ever-changing and dynamic operational conditions
Bonus if you…
- Have advanced experience with Excel
- Knowledge and experience with SQL and/or Tableau
- Exposure to P&L ownership, finances
- Lean/Six Sigma Certification
Accommodations & Accessibility
At Instacart, we strive to create an accessible and inclusive experience for all candidates. If you need assistance submitting an application through our career site due to a disability, please submit an Accommodations Request Form and someone from our team will reach out soon to see how we may be able to assist.