Job ID: 345
We're looking for someone to join the Media Manipulation Monitor (M3) team who is passionate about deciphering complex information operations (IO) for discerning US government and Fortune 50 clients. M3 decodes the Chinese government’s manipulation of the global information space, and we need a language- and data-enabled Subject Matter Expert to help our clients make sense of the Chinese Government’s IO.
As a China Subject Matter Expert at M3 with at least 5 years of relevant experience, you will be responsible for curating and analyzing signal-rich data to extract actionable insights about Chinese foreign IO in East and Southeast Asia. You’ll bring your world-class expertise in local language, social media landscape, and data analytics to help solve some of the most important foreign policy questions facing the US Government today. You'll work with me and the rest of the M3 Subject Matter Experts to deliver valuable analysis in written and spoken formats to our discerning clients.
You'll also work with members of our Data Science, Engineering, and Product teams to constantly iterate on and improve our collection, data analytics, and content production processes. At Two Six, we strive to: solve problems collaboratively; innovate and respond to feedback; and include, thank, celebrate, and be kind to our team members. In this role, you will embody these values, working on your own and with your team to find creative solutions and tackle challenging problems with cutting-edge technology.
That said, we do not expect our SMEs to code. Your primary responsibility will be to ensure we deliver insightful analysis to customers. We build on your existing expertise by training all SMEs in quantitative methods and AI/ML tools, and create space for them to hone their ability to work with complex technical systems. If you are a curious and motivated regional expert who is not intimidated by big data—we want you to work with us.
This position is fully remote with optional office meet-ups, just like the rest of the M3 team. Our normal business hours tend to align with the East Coast, but we are flexible and we work with teammates and clients around the world.
In this position, you’ll:
- Use your Mandarin skills, cultural expertise, and creative thinking to create valuable insights on issues pertaining to Chinese social media and IO.
- Represent analytic excellence and consistently challenge our team’s assumptions.
- Use our internal data platform and proprietary data science tools to identify trends and anomalous events, and interpret these findings for clients.
- Write reports ranging from time sensitive alerts to in-depth analysis on current events.
- Communicate your analysis to our customer base, and act as a customer success advocate to continuously improve the quality of our product.
- Research and explore new data sources in English and Mandarin.
- Work with our data scientists and engineers to develop novel technology that improves our capacity to turn data into actionable insights.
- Deliver insights on existing initiatives and come up with innovative product growth opportunities.
Here are some of the skills and requirements you’ll need to dive into the role:
- Professional fluency in Mandarin required (level comparable to HSK V, TOCFL 5, or DLPT/ILR 3).
- At least two years’ experience living, working, and/or studying in China.
- Deep knowledge of Chinese culture, including modern history and society.
- Knowledge of international relations and/or the Asia-Pacific region (China in particular).
- Strong experience writing clear and concise reports.
- Demonstrated initiative and problem solving skills.
- Well-organized and efficient, great with deadlines.
- Basic technical proficiency (e.g., adept in Microsoft Office, Google Docs suite).
- You do not need to have data analytics or engineering experience for this job, but you should show interest and capacity to learn new skills as you will be working closely with technical teams.
Other nice-to-haves include:
Our Subject Matter Experts come from a wide range of backgrounds and expertise. We’d love to hear what makes you uniquely able to serve our customers. Some of the qualities that have made SMEs stand out in the past include:
- A passion for communicating findings visually with charts, graphics, and visually pleasing templates.
- Extensive in-country experience and a nuanced understanding of Chinese social media
- A “futurist” in analysis, with exposure to statistics and data science concepts.
- Broad exposure to the federal government and an on-going passion for Mission.
- Collaboration with teams of diverse specialties, and a love for integrating the best each brings to the table.
- Eligibility for Security clearance
- 100% Remote
Two Six Technologies is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on race (including traits historically associated with race, such as hair texture, hair type and protective hair styles (e.g., braids, twists, locs and twists)), color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and lactation), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age (40 and over), marital status, disability, genetic information, and protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Two Six Technologies Covid-19 Vaccination Policy requires employees to be fully vaccinated. Exceptions to this policy are only granted to those with a company-approved medical or religious accommodation. Prospective or new employees will be required to adhere to this policy and submit proof of vaccination or have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.
If you are interested in applying for employment with Two Six Technologies and require an accommodation, please contact Human Resources at Two Six Technologies by sending an email to [email protected]. Information provided will be kept confidential and used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
EOE, including disability/vets.