Octane is late-stage Fintech startup that is disrupting lending in the passion purchase segment. With a mission to connect people to their passions and an initial focus on the $21B powersports market, Octane is leading the segment with its promise of speed and ease and digital capabilities (through automated underwriting, innovative credit products, and financing through our in-house lender Roadrunner Financial, editorial brands like CycleWorld.com), gaining traction quickly with customers, growing originations more than 3X year-over-year. Because we’re the platform and the lender, we have both high growth and positive unit economics - rare for a fintech. Octane recently closed its Series D raise and is in the midst of expanding into adjacent verticals beyond powersports in the passion purchase category.
We are looking for an experienced, self-driven Chief of Staff or an exceptional candidate looking to grow into this role. You will report directly to the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of the company, working closely with him and across his leadership team and that of his c-suite counterparts to drive relentless focus on improving the experience for execution, with empathy for the people and for Octane’s customers. You'll thread the needle across multiple teams and support the CTO in delivering results and holding teams accountable.
To be successful in this strategic and technical role, you must be comfortable working with engineering teams, product teams and key business partners (including HR, recruiting, and finance). You will be driving continuous process improvement and simplification, enabling the team to succeed in the highly dynamic world of cloud computing, while removing obstacles. You will drive our efforts to identify key initiatives and investment areas, support the short-term and future strategy in alignment with Octane’s mission and values, and track execution and operations across the org.
In this role you will also deep dive on critical experiential issues faced by the business. Actively seeking out opportunities to fine tune and redefine our processes will be core to everything you do, as well as demonstrating leadership and expertise in understanding the underlying user experience issues and technology of our systems. The role will evolve as business needs change but will start out covering below functional areas as key responsibilities.
- Operations: As Chief of Staff, you will drive the rhythm of the business, including reviews, leadership meetings, strategy sessions - thinking holistically and strategically about key business processes, organizational effectiveness and efficiency, employee engagement, and organizational communications.
- Communications: You will actively establish the communication program for the CTO by defining talks, narratives, and engagements with staff and internal stakeholders.
- Project management: Tracking high priority initiatives for the CTO and identifying any obstacles, communicating initiative status to the executive, pulling in other executives or team members as necessary, connecting teams that are working on similar initiatives, pulling together and managing project teams that require input from multiple areas within the company.
- Cultivate Relationships: Success in Engineering is dependent on cross-functional and cross-organization relationships; good relationships start with empathy and trust. You will identify stakeholder relationships to build and effectively partner with to facilitate the success of your role and the organization’s mission.
- Culture and People: You will work closely with the CTO, CPO, HR and the leadership team to identify, analyze, and develop strategies to improve organizational health for employees as indicated by employee feedback, from personal observation (requires a good pulse on the org), or other employee listening systems. You will work closely with the leadership team and HR team on implementing an overall morale strategy.
- Strategic Initiatives: You will create and implement accurate strategic plans and develop success metrics. You will be on point for the communication approach for special initiatives and projects developed throughout the year.
- Budgeting & Hiring: You will elevate our partnership with Recruiting to ensure our organization attracts the best and brightest candidates and any openings are filled quickly meeting organizational hiring objectives. You will hold hiring managers accountable for ensuring a positive onboarding experience.
- 10+ years’ experience as senior software leadership, product management, technical project management or similar role in technology industry
- Proficiency with office productivity suite (similar to PowerPoint, Word, etc.)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate (oral and written) at all levels across an org
- A highly Collaborative mindset (excellent technical and non-technical stakeholder management skills)
- Experience using agile software development practices and associated tooling
- Proficiency with progress tracking tools (similar to Jira, Trello, Project, etc.)
- Nice to have: Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in business, marketing, engineering, computer science or related field
- Nice to have: People management experience
- Robust Health Care Plans (Medical, Dental & Vision)
- Up to 5 weeks PTO (self-managed)
- Generous Parental Leave
- Retirement Plan (401k) with Company contribution and Match
- Educational Assistance/Tuition Reimbursement up to $3K/year
- Powersports Safety Benefit: reimbursement of up to $500/year for the purchase of any powersports safety equipment
- Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
- Short Term / Long Term Disability & Life insurance
- Team Activities (remotely)
- Monthly company gift