AVP IT Risk & Compliance at CNA
Officer position responsible for the IT Governance, Risk & Compliance function, and its interfaces with other functional areas across CNA. This role will lead the Governance, Risk and Compliance team, providing leadership and hands on guidance for all information security risk assurance activities across the enterprise, including first line of defense controls monitoring and testing. This position also acts as the Security liaison with IT operations and development teams for ongoing compliance initiatives. Serves as a Trusted Advisor to the business and technology stakeholders across the enterprise to partner on security, compliance and technical privacy improvements, manage risk of security exceptions, and stay aligned on common goals. As a leader within the Corporate Security Group, participates in the development and execution of strategy, and the identification and implementation of innovative controls to manage risk while enabling business performance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Leads, directs, and has full management accountability for the performance and development of all IT Governance, Risk and Compliance staff in Information Security, including but not limited to IT Risk Management, IT Security Controls, Vendor Risk Management (shared), IT Compliance, Issues Management, Policies and Standards, Training and Awareness, Customer Compliance Inquiry, Security Advisory and Metrics and Reporting (KRI/KPI management) and managing a risk register.
- Establishes IT Risk and Compliance strategies and guides the execution and implementation of the strategies. Also provides significant input into the future strategy of Information Security at CNA.
- Actively works to identify, assess, and monitor emerging risks, evaluates associated vulnerabilities and threats, and provides mitigations strategies to protect the organization. Provides support, as required, with Second and Third Line of Defense reviews.
- Frequently works with senior IT and business leaders in re-evaluating IT risks from vendors.
- Oversees Security risk management, including the identification, analysis, and measurement of risks; the monitoring and reporting on security risks, and the disposition of said risks. Acts as the primary contact for the Enterprise Risk Management team on IT Security-related risk issues.
- Oversees Security Compliance and the associated IT Controls areas and partners with the Corporate Compliance organization on regulatory issues for IT. Leading a team that is responsible for coordinating third party risk and assessment on suppliers and partners.
- Continue program related to risk reduction and maturity following NIST-CSF, HITRUST, SOC2, HIPAA and other related frameworks and regulations.
- Directs and oversees the development and implementation of IT Risk standards, procedures and guidelines to prevent the unauthorized use, release, modification, or destruction of data across multiple platforms and environments. Aligned with risk above, will measure compliance with policies and standards across IT for technical standards and the enterprise for non-technical ones.
- Works closely with other leaders across Information Security to ensure a common approach to threat and intelligence analysis, risk management methodologies, compliance reporting, and crisis management. Owns IT policies, awareness, and training.
- Oversees development, review and update of Corporate Security policies and associated standards.
- Oversees the education and awareness team. Provides Information Security continuous education and training of our employees, contractors, and third party vendors about InfoSec risk and maturity. In addition, this individual and their team will expand our information security training strategy and program, oversee its implementation, and assess its outcomes.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Typically VP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- In depth experience with all aspects of information security, risk management, and business continuity management.
- Senior level knowledge of regulations (i.e., SOX, HIPAA, privacy, etc.) as it pertains to IT risk and controls.
- Excellent ability to influence change in enterprise understanding and adoption of information security concepts.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent communications and interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with peers and cross functional senior executives.
- Strong understanding of crisis management skills.
- Strong ability to manage complex projects to completion.
- Proven ability to lead and motivate others in accomplishing goals.
- Preferred insurance industry knowledge.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor's Degree required or equivalent work experience. Master's Degree in Computer Science or technical field preferred.
- Minimum of ten years of information security, and IT risk and compliance experience with five years' management experience. Deep insurance industry experience preferred.
- CISSP or CISA\CISM and IT Risk and Compliance certifications preferred.