Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs-bringing better care to where it's needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that "health is local" and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet's Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we'll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About the Role:
Cityblock's growth team dynamically supports the Cityblock mission including New Business Development, Existing Partner Management, Policy Intelligence, Market Entry Strategy and Developing Business Cases for New Products.
The Vice President - Growth will be a critical team leader, responsible for leading Cityblock's rapid growth into new markets and expanding existing markets. The role will lead a variety of activities, especially developing and managing executive relationships with potential payer partners, communicating about Cityblock, developing both conceptual and financial structures for new deals to meet the needs of Cityblock and potential partners, gaining a deep understanding of the local market and policy dynamics and working with cross-functional leads at Cityblock to develop a proposal and complete contracting. Most importantly, the role will be responsible for the development and negotiation of risk contracts with new partners. The role will also lead critical strategic considerations for the company, including new products, new markets and refinement of partnership models.
The ideal candidate thrives when sitting at the intersection of commercial opportunities, strategy, financial analysis, and operational domains. Reflecting the significant growth of our organization, the optimal candidate has deep experience and exposure across health plan operations, such as financial management, revenue cycle management, quality analytics and reporting, call center operations, network management, and more. This is not a "sales" business development role - it is a strategic advisor where thought leadership, relationship building, creativity, and sound business acumen are what drive success. Ideal candidate does not need to have deep sales experience, and relevant backgrounds include corporate development, business development, consulting, private equity, strategy, and other managerial roles. This person will connect with other external leaders in ways that they see Cityblock Health as a critical ally and partner in bringing leading care delivery models to serve Medicaid and Medicare patients.
If you like hard problems, are seeking out entrepreneurial opportunities, and are an amazing teammate, we want to hear from you!
Requirements for the Role:
- Bachelor's degree required; MBA/MHA/JD preferred
- 10-15 years of experience in healthcare industry or health related field with experience in contracting, partnerships, business development, particularly in risk-based healthcare, or similar roles as a strategy consultant
- Superb project/process management skills and proven success in a startup environment: rigorous, energetic, agile, and flexible
- Negotiation skills, ideally with 7+ figure deals
- Exceptional organizational, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to project professional competence, leadership capability, and personal maturity
- Charismatic with excellent presentation skills and the ability to own external relationships with key executive stakeholders under minimal supervision
- Experience in rigorous quantitative and qualitative market diligence and analysis, likely demonstrated through management consulting or operational business development roles
- Strong working understanding of the national payer and risk-bearing provider landscape as well as digital health trends and new entrants
- Strong understanding of health reform, population health strategy, and change leadership in large, complex health care organizations
- Willing to travel as needed (from 0% to 100% on week-by-week variable basis) to perform essential duties
How We Define Success:
- Drive top-line revenue by identifying and managing strategic relationships and executing through deal completion
- Manage executive relationships, set strategic vision with partners, represent Cityblock externally and support Cityblock's refinement of storytelling value proposition to external audiences.
- Lead ongoing deal financial analysis, and deal structuring and present deal to internal audiences (Senior Leadership Team, Executive Team, Board)
- Manage Sales process to ensure new business deals move through pipeline to execution
- Lead all contract negotiations for risk-based deals, including collaborating with legal and actuarial staff and operators
- Develop strategies for new market entry (understanding provider and payer landscape, regulatory environment, special opportunities for entry)
- Promote and thrive within a metrics driven culture, with consistent targets and forecasting
- Contribute to and lead other Cityblock efforts related to Growth as needed
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- M&A deal experience (e.g., tech M&A, payer or PBM M&A, physician practice acquisition, etc).
- Strong eye for design and the ability to create high-quality production content
- Experience in venture capital or related equity investing
- Experience with health plan financial operations, including, e.g., medical budget analysis, IBNR calculation, and more.
- Payer sales experience in a start-up environment a plus
What We'd Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.