This Underwriting Consultant role is within the Select Risk Group (E&S) of our NAP (National Accounts Property) unit. This will be a build out supporting CNA's multi-line entrance into the E&S (Wholesaler) market. The role will report to the leader of the Select Risk Property Team, and under their direction, will be responsible for underwriting Property and E&S Property risks presented exclusively by appointed wholesale brokers. Coverage will be provided on a Non-Admitted basis only.
The location for this role can be flexible.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Works on highly complex property underwriting risks employing diagnostic and systematic analysis to assess acceptability.
2. Determines appropriate pricing of complex risks for assigned book of business based on financial and competitive analysis in line with compliance requirements and with little oversight needed from superiors.
3. Makes recommendations on underwriting policy and pricing strategy.
4. Analyzes quality, quantity, and profitability of highly complex risks underwritten; prepares and presents reports to management.
5. Markets products and services through agencies or through the brokerage community and makes field visits.
6. Develops and maintains relationships with large wholesale producers on a national basis to develop a positive and profitable book of complex, property and E&S property business.
7. Keeps current on state/territory issues, industry activity and trends. May participate in industry trade groups.
8. Mentors and guides less experienced underwriters and assists in the development of underwriting training.
9. Utilizes advanced functionality in relevant CNA systems to perform day-to-day activities.
10. Responsible for special underwriting projects and presentations.
May perform additional duties as assigned.
Manager or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Strong knowledge an relationships in the wholesale broker market place
- Advanced technical expertise, underwriting skill and high level of knowledge of insurance and underwriting principles, practices and procedures.
- Strong communication, negotiation, production and presentation skills. Ability to effectively interact with all levels of CNA's internal and external business partners.
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills, with the ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations and issues.
- Creativity in resolving unique and challenging business problems.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office/Teams Suite and other business-related software.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience. Professional designations preferred.
2. Typically a minimum of five to eight years underwriting experience, in the E&S arena.