Senior Manager, Public Relations at Thumbtack (Remote)
We’re the technology leader building the modern home management platform. Today, millions of people use Thumbtack to effortlessly manage their homes. We help them confidently know what to do, when to do it and who to hire.
Our goal is simple: to be the only platform homeowners need to fix, maintain and improve their homes. As a long-term partner for homeowners, our promise is to turn what was once confusing and intimidating into something straightforward — and a lot less stressful.
At Thumbtack, we're not just creating a new era of homeownership. We’re supporting local economies and building stronger communities. Each day, we connect local professionals across America with busy homeowners so they can grow their businesses.
Thumbtack is for everyone. Our customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply.
Our North Star is bright and our ambitions are big. We’ve been at this for over a decade, but the way we see it: we’re just getting started.Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available in all 3,143 U.S. counties.
- Nearly 4.5 million customers in the last 12 months
- Hundreds of thousands of local professionals on our platform
- 65 million projects started on Thumbtack
- Over 7.5 million 5-star reviews left for stellar pros
Our Communications team is responsible for crafting and sharing the Thumbtack story. We help people care for their largest investment — their home — with confidence. We empower small businesses in every corner of the country to grow more profitably. And we are transforming the $500 billion home services industry — one of the largest still in the early stages of moving online. To thrive here, you will enjoy connecting and collaborating, working with a variety of internal partners from across the entire company, and building in a creative, fast-paced environment.About the Role
We’re seeking a Senior Manager to join our Public Relations team. Reporting to the Vice President Communications, you’ll work closely with internal and external partners to bring our business, product, and mission to life. You’ll develop and shape our narrative and touchpoints — and craft strategies to grow our profile. You’ll own product announcements, corporate news, and partner with executives to share their vision for the future.
The Senior PR Manager is a central partner to our leadership team, marketing team, and product team — driving results that will help Thumbtack create a new era of home care. You’ll lead product and corporate PR for a pre-IPO company that is one of the fastest growing companies in an untapped $500 billion industry.
You are a fit for this role if you are an experienced PR strategist, a strong writer, and a skilled project manager.Responsibilities
- Public Relations: Develop strategic product and business announcements, craft creative campaigns, leverage data storytelling and demonstrate our commitment to our mission of helping everyone do life’s work with joy and purpose. Oversee media opportunities end to end including securing, preparing executives, writing talking points and sharing coverage with stakeholders. Support and manage crisis-related comms efforts as needed.
- Narrative development: Partner with our product and marketing teams to develop messaging, proof points, and soundbites to distill our story and bring it to life externally.
- Planning & Measurement: Create communications assets including launch plans, press releases, pitches, blog posts, media strategies, and measurement/reporting.
- Leadership Skills: Collaborate effectively with cross-functional partners with a POV, providing guidance across the company. Cultivate relationships with key executives and Thumbtack leaders, while identifying and training new spokespeople for press interviews, media tours and events.
- 8+ years of experience building and scaling PR programs to help drive company goals forward. Demonstrated success driving PR strategy, leading media programs, placing coverage, publishing content — and measuring results
- Excellent written, verbal and visual communication skills: this role will require creating messaging, talking points, and external content
- Comfort coaching company spokespeople and working directly with senior leaders
- Proven ability to define objectives, strategies and tasks without waiting for top-down direction.
- Skilled in working cross-functionally to incorporate and act on feedback from stakeholders.
- Experience leading and collaborating with external agency partners.
- Excel in fast-paced, fluid environments.Strong people and project management skills, and are able to manage multiple time-sensitive projects under deadlines. Adept at making room at the table to create positive and inclusive environments for internal and external teammates.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism or a related field
- Experience managing crisis communications
- Experience working in a startup or high-growth tech company
- Experience managing external PR agency partners
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack is a technology leader building the modern home management platform. Through the Thumbtack app, homeowners can effortlessly manage their homes — confidently knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. Bringing the $500 billion home services industry online, Thumbtack empowers millions of homeowners to fix, maintain, and improve their most valuable asset.
Founded in 2008, Thumbtack is backed by over $500 million in funding from folks that include Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Discover our virtual first plan
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.