Senior Communications Manager, Consumer PR at Coinbase
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We’re looking for a consumer PR expert to join the Coinbase communications team as a senior manager. This person will be responsible for driving awareness for Coinbase and our products amongst a global mainstream consumer audience. They’ll lead day-to-day efforts related to engaging with consumer media, aligning our product narratives to the latest consumer trends. They’ll uncover unique customer stories, and partner with these ambassadors to tell their stories to the world. In addition to their core responsibilities, the successful candidate will also support other parts of our communications function, including product launches on an ad-hoc basis.
As a communications lead, you will have the opportunity to join the ground floor of a company that is revolutionizing finance and technology. You will set and execute media strategy, drive message development, and work with a range of internal stakeholders, as well as external customers and partners.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Build and execute on a proactive plan to drive awareness for Coinbase and our products amongst a general consumer audience.
- Develop a proactive communications strategy to highlight Coinbase’s unique customer stories to the world.
- Partner closely with Coinbase’s brand and marketing teams to amplify their activities - as well as generate new storytelling campaigns.
- Coinbase’s legal team to identify communications objectives and build narratives and communications plans that support those goals.
- Be available to all members of the communications team to share your experience and help with all facets of our communications plan on an as-needed basis.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- A creative storytelling with an understanding of what stories resonate with the media and engage our audiences.
- A strong track record of securing coverage in consumer-focused media outlets, including broadcast. Solid working relationships with consumer reporters and producers are a must.
- A demonstrated ability to understand complex subject matter, along with the skills needed to simplify and explain these topics for a broad audience of stakeholders.
- Experience managing cross-functional initiatives involving multiple stakeholders across an organization.
- Stellar writing and storytelling skills: prose that’s clear and concise, with an eye toward eliminating jargon.
- Strategic mindset: You should bring creative solutions to every problem and never see a challenge as insurmountable.
- Grace under fire: PR + crypto equals a fast-paced working environment. You should be unflappable at crunch time, and be able to deliver a quality product under the most stressful of circumstances.
- An interest in crypto and the economic freedom it can offer. Our mission is to bring more economic freedom to the world - and we want you to help!
- Collaborative working style: Our comms team is small and nimble and, while we have dedicated coverage areas, we all jump in and work together to support each other when company priorities require all hands on deck.
Nice to haves:
- 8+ years relevant work experience at either a PR agency or on an in-house communications team.
- An understanding of the regulatory, security and technical landscapes influencing the state of cryptocurrency today (and tomorrow).
- Experience with financial tech, crypto or traditional financial services.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.