PR: Head of Creative Communications (@Remote) at OfferUp
About the Role:
OfferUp is seeking a driven, detail-oriented, self-motivated, and creative Public Relations leader with deep experience in owned channel development and programming to join us as our Head of Creative Communications.
OfferUp’s success hinges on the ability to regularly engage buyers and sellers with impactful stories and content, while driving awareness and affinity to promote growth. This role offers an opportunity to build OfferUp’s owned storytelling capabilities, voice of the company, and editorial functions from the ground up. They will regularly engage with senior business leaders across the company to identify, develop, and execute high impact stories and content that reach multiple audiences including internal, external, and partner-centric groups. Put simply, your primary responsibility will be to formulate and execute ways to tell the OfferUp story to the masses.
We are looking for a seasoned leader, with high levels of motivation and judgment, who is comfortable with ambiguity and understands how to work closely with business partners and cross-functional teams to drive projects through to completion in a startup environment. The ideal candidate will have the demonstrated ability to work in a fast-moving, dynamic organization, and have a track record of generating results.
This is a highly visible role that requires frequent engagement with C-suite executives, and regular opportunities to represent OfferUp both internally and externally.
This role can be in Bellevue, Washington, or @Remote in the following states: Washington, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia.
Here’s more of what you will get to do:
- Lead a team of cross-business stakeholders to develop OfferUp owned channel strategy.
- Develop end-to-end programs and tactics designed to raise OfferUp’s awareness and customer engagement by way of owned content and strategic storytelling.
- Work closely with OfferUp leadership (including C-suite) to develop an ongoing content strategy, and develop various processes and mechanisms to execute and measure results.
- Act as an “Editor in Chief” for internal and external owned content, and a key partner for all teams to review and make recommendations regarding their storytelling priorities.
- Develop a Customer Spotlight program that showcases our buyers and sellers through storytelling.
- Contribute to earned storytelling efforts, ensuring our messaging, strategy, and tactics are consistent.
- Review and approve speaking opportunities for OfferUp executives.
- Identify and build measurement tools for the PR team designed to showcase PR impact.
- Manage our PR agency and other partners as needed.
You’ll thrive in this role if you have: (All OfferUp employees are required to receive full Covid-19 vaccinations, per CDC guidelines. OfferUp will review accommodation requests due to a medical reason, or because of a sincerely held religious belief.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
- 10+ years of professional PR experience either in-house or at an agency
- 3+ years of experience developing owned materials, storytelling, or social media content
- Superior verbal and written communications skills
- Excellent understanding of the relevant media environment and current business landscape of the recommerce industry
- Ability to succeed with ambiguity, and a fast-paced, scrappy startup environment
- High level of comfort working directly with and acting as senior PR counsel for senior executives and being accountable for developing materials that meet that bar
- Experience working with multiple business functions including marketing, product, engineering, and business development
- Demonstrated ability to execute quickly on complex, cross functional projects with multiple working groups, garnering impactful results
- Ability to quickly absorb technical concepts and communicate them to a non-technical audience
OfferUp is dedicated to changing the way people buy and sell in their communities. As the largest mobile marketplace for local buyers and sellers in the U.S., the company offers iOS and Android apps that make selling an item as easy as snapping a picture from your mobile device. Founded in April 2011, OfferUp is reinventing local commerce by helping consumers uncover value through simplicity and trust. In 2020, OfferUp combined with letgo to reach more than 20M monthly users.
More About OfferUp At a Glance
- #2 U.S. shopping app in Q1 of ‘21, Top 5 in App Store and Google Play Store for three years.
- 100M+ Downloads, 20M+ monthly users
- 56M People used OfferUp last year (1 in 4 people over the age of 14)
- OfferUp works directly with nearly 2,000 US law enforcement agencies to build trust in local communities by creating safe in-person locations for OfferUp transactions.
- Billions of dollars worth of transactions are facilitated via the OfferUp marketplace every month
OfferUp is changing the way people buy and sell locally, and we’ve built a dynamic team to do it. To learn more about what it’s like to work at OfferUp, check out our blog: https://blog.offerup.com
OfferUp provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, OfferUp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
OfferUp expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of OfferUp’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.