PR & External Communications Manager at Green Thumb (Chicago, IL)
The PR & External Communications Manager will be responsible for managing Green Thumb’s public relations activities including press releases, media inquiries, briefing documents and communication materials for external audiences. With a focus on earned media, this role will increase corporate brand awareness and build positive company reputation through effective planning and media management strategies. The PR & External Communications Manager will be a team player and leader who works collaboratively across functions to ensure organizational and operational alignment to deliver consistent, authentic messages across external stakeholders. This role will collaborate with the CEO, senior business leaders, and key partners to execute a robust, transparent approach to external communications that articulates, promotes, protects, and reinforces Green Thumb’s mission, values, and business objectives.
- Develop the company's external communications strategy in partnership with the VP of Communications.
- Lead external communications for corporate priorities, including but not limited to M&A, product launches, strategic partnerships, new store openings, events and issues management.
- Oversee and guide the day-to-day proactive pitching, fulfillment of local and national media requests, speaking engagements, appearances, and major news pieces around corporate strategy and thought leadership, providing media and external relations counsel, training, responses and talking points when appropriate.
- Draft, edit and continuously improve communications strategy and messaging materials, including press releases, briefing documents, FAQs and fact sheets for external audiences.
- Direct and manage outside PR agency to ensure all communications plans are integrated into corporate narrative and executed on strategy, on time, and on budget; act as company liaison for PR agency while collaborating with marketing/brand teams on external communication strategies for our Retail and CPG brands.
- Support investor relations communications including quarterly earnings, updates to investor presentations and the annual report and CEO letter.
- Develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with local and national consumer and financial/business media.
- Serve as a key communications representative; when necessary, act as company spokesperson.
- Monitor, track and report media coverage and mentions for stakeholders including senior leadership teams and board directors.
- Proactively monitor and conduct ongoing analyses of the impact of key market and industry issues and trends for which Green Thumb can provide a point of view; working quickly to inform teams and develop recommendations/integrated plans/messaging as appropriate.
- Maintain crisis communication plan and approach to issues management.
- Handle sensitive or proprietary company information; proactively plan against and advise leadership during challenges and crises.
- Coordinate with Communications teams and other internal business partners to ensure consistent and cohesive key messages and talking points across stakeholders and channels.
- 5+ years of experience in corporate, executive and external communications; public company or agency experience preferred
- A degree in Communications or related field preferred
- Ability to build cross functional relationships and interact successfully at all levels of the company
- Critical thinker with superb storytelling, writing and editing skills
- Proven track record of building and implementing a successful external communication strategy
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Possesses a strong sense of urgency and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Adaptive problem solver who effectively navigates change and drives towards alignment; decides and acts without having the picture totally defined; appropriately changes strategy in response to new information
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age