Policy Communications Apprentice at Informa (Remote)
Taylor & Francis Group produces high quality, peer reviewed books and journals. We produce unique, trusted content by expert authors, spreading knowledge and promoting discovery globally. We aim to broaden thinking and advance understanding, providing academics and professionals with a platform to share ideas and realise their individual potential.
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.Job Description
We have a unique and exciting opportunity for a committed and enthusiastic Apprentice to join our External Affairs and Policy team in a role that will operate globally and sits at the heart of our broader Corporate Communications team.
The External Affairs and Policy Team works to identify and build strong connections with funders, policymakers, researchers, and societies to drive and influence positive policies around research and scholarly communication. By providing external encouragement and support, having a voice and input into industry and government consultations, we build and enhance the T&F brand as a trusted, collaborative and differentiated member of the academic research community.
As a Communications Apprentice in this team, you will be studying for the Level 4 PR & Communications Assistant qualification which will provide you with the most up-to-date knowledge around how to produce and effectively deliver a range of content to build the organisation’s external profile. You will also be equipped with the knowledge and skills on how to identify and share insights into emerging global political and policy trends, anticipating issues, risks and opportunities and be able to contribute to the development of T&F’s positions on emerging and relevant public policy issues.
In order to truly equip you with a wide range of communication and research skills, you will also spend some time immersed in our wider Communications team, gaining insights into how we build out a range of campaigns and how we work with media outlets. We’ll ensure you have the chance to learn on the job with mentoring and development from our colleagues, putting your off-the-job training to practical use to cement your learning. Upon completion, you'll have developed and honed your knowledge and skills to grow your career within a Communications environment.
What will this role involve?
Working at the heart of our External Affairs and Policy team, tasks are likely to include:
- Creating materials and content to outline the role of the External Affairs and Policy team, helping internal stakeholders understand what we do and how we can help them in their roles by: shadowing team members to build understanding of the work of the team; holding focus groups and building internal links; creating materials to build our internal profile such as blog posts, presentations, and videos; and update / refinement of these resources based on feedback.
- Support with drafting a clear story for our external audiences, on what T&F stands for from a public policy perspective.
- Researching and providing evidence-based recommendations for external stakeholders on a range of policy issues related to scholarly communications, using both written and visual formats.
- Supporting with team tasks and administration including project management, attending meetings and taking notes, updating the website and internal policy portal, stakeholder mapping, and policy tracking.
You will work towards gaining:
- Level 4 Apprenticeship as a PR & Communications Assistants (standard)
- You will need to complete an End Point Assessment to successfully pass your apprenticeship
What are we looking for?
- As a minimum requirement, you will need to have achieved 5 GCSE passes at Grade C/4 or above including in English and Maths or equivalent qualifications. Ideally you will have A-Levels or further education studies.
- A good understanding of Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel, Word, Teams, Office 365 and SharePoint - but we can help you learn these too!
- Enthusiastic and self-motivated with the drive to achieve.
- Effective time management skills, meeting deadlines and prioritising multiple tasks.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; be able to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Be a team player, building good working relationships and retaining a positive attitude towards your work and colleagues.
- Creativity and willingness to bring new ideas to the team.
- Interest in learning, developing and applying best practices.
On completion of the Apprenticeship:
A certificate will be issued formally recognizing this achievement and will mark the end of the 18-month program.
Taylor & Francis will make every effort to identify a suitable internal role on for you, however there is no automatic guaranteed progression to a permanent or fixed-term role after successful completion of the Apprenticeship.
What we offer in return:
- Salary circa GBP 21,000 per annum
- 25 days annual leave (3 additional days at Christmas)
- Additional day off for your birthday
- 4 volunteering days annually
- Pension contributions
- Seasonal social and charitable events
- Excellent training and development opportunities
- Flexible home working arrangement
- An Apprenticeship is a learning opportunity. Apprentices will be required to complete the mandatory period of off-the-job training and all tasks associated with obtaining the Apprenticeship qualification.
- Our Apprentice opportunities are open for candidates who do not currently hold and who are not currently studying for a degree level qualification.
- Whilst this role can be completed remotely, there may be an expectation to work from our Milton Park, Oxfordshire offices on occasion, so a commutable distance from here is desirable.
- To be eligible for Apprenticeship funding you need to have the right to and be living in England, must not already hold a qualification of the same type, content and level and must not be undertaking another apprenticeship or in education at the same time.
The closing date for this position is 7th July 2022 and we are aiming for a September 2022 start date.
To apply for this opportunity, please also provide a short-written piece on a policy issue that you feel strongly about. This can be in the form of a blog or an article, or an alternative method of writing. This should be no longer than one side of A4.
Taylor & Francis Group an Informa Business
At Taylor & Francis we care about our colleagues, promoting work-life balance, wellbeing and flexible working. We believe that the skills and experience you bring to Taylor & Francis are invaluable. We want you to have the opportunity to develop your abilities, and to innovate and develop in areas which you are passionate about
Informa is a leading academic publishing, business intelligence, knowledge and events business, creating unique content and connectivity for customers all over the world. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a member of the FTSE 100.
We know that sometimes the 'perfect candidate' doesn't exist, and that people can be put off applying for a job if they don't fit all the requirements. If you're excited about working for us and have most of the skills or experience we're looking for, please go ahead and apply. You could be just what we need! We believe strongly in the value of diversity and creating supportive, inclusive environments where our colleagues can succeed. As such, Informa is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, or religious creed, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital status, citizenship, or other protected characteristics under local law. This role may also be available on a flexible working or part time basis - please ask the Talent Acquisition team for more information