We're building a platform to tackle equity in education - join us! We're looking for an entrepreneurial business development and marketing generalist who can help us test product-market hypotheses, hone our message, and reach thousands of decision makers around the world.
As the first member of our Business Development team, you’ll help crystalize our product-market fit and design and execute our sales and marketing process. You’ll be responsible for all stages of the customer acquisition lifecycle (see responsibilities, below), but your primary focus will be (1) outbound prospecting and lead generation and (2) inbound marketing and content generation.
You will be our 5th full time teammates and will be involved in many areas of the business, including product management, operations, sales, marketing, customer service - you name it, you’ll help with it. This role is a good fit for a customer centric entrepreneur and business development guru who loves ambiguity and wants to solve problems in equity and education.
- Build Avela’s brand, through our website, thought leadership, press/media, and other brand awareness campaigns.
- Generate demand and drive qualified leads to the sales team through a full suite of techniques, including content/inbound marketing (newsletters, webinars, SEO), field marketing (local events, conferences), and outbound marketing (emails, etc).
- Engage in customer conversations to fine tune our product-market fit, refine pricing, and improve product marketing.
- Ideally also lead some sales conversations and close business when another rep is not available.
- Build Lead Lists - Identify customers matching Ideal Customer Profile (ICP) and create lists with contact info for outbound targetings.
- Webinars - Organize webinar series with speakers, ensure 100+ signups at each, and run/execute smooth webinar, share recording with mailing lists.
- Content - Manage our blog, write original thought leadership content, and curate content written by other thought leaders (e.g. Sonali, Parag).
- Newsletter - Design and publish monthly newsletter for customers and prospects using our content..
- Events -Manage our event calendar, event sponsorships, both setup, and coordinate attendance and post-event follow-ups.
- Partner with customer success, sales, and product to create delightful experiences for customers and prospects.
- 2-10 years of full time professional experience
- Startup experience preferred
- B2B/enterprise or government/education sales/marketing experience preferred
- Excellent communicator, including written and oral
- Capable of producing compelling sales slide presentations
- Legal ability to work in the US, based in the USA.
- Passion for education, equity, or social impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive, extraordinary comfort with ambiguity, enjoyment wearing many hats
- Among the best at what you do with a growth mindset and desire to constantly improve
- Living in the US with at least four years of full time professional experience in the USA.
Note on Similar Roles and Seniority
You might have noticed, we have six related roles open - a lead and a specialist in each of the following: business development, sales, and marketing. The roles are very similar, and we are actively hiring for all three. We ask that you only apply to one - whichever is the best fit for your experience.
The sales role requires K12 sales experience and will focus on driving and closing new sales. The marketing role requires K12/edtech marketing experience and focuses on lead generation. The business development role (this one) is a bit of a hybrid and requires someone able to wear both hats - executing marketing campaigns by morning and closing 7-figure deals by night.
The lead roles all require significant relevant experience and are for leaders with at least 8 years of full time professional experience. The individual contributor roles require 2 years of relevant full time experience, though our target is more like 4-7 years of experience.
Avela is a Nobel Prize-winning edtech startup building the first universal application for PK-12 education, daycare, and enrichment programs, promoting equity and access to education.
For students and families, this simplifies the process of finding and applying to educational programming. For schools and districts, this streamlines operations and helps increase enrollment (and hence, revenue).
We sell our application and enrollment platform directly to school districts, charter networks, other educational providers, cities, and states. We work with school districts and charter networks across the country, including in Oakland, Seattle, Hartford, Tulsa, New Orleans, Newark, and Jersey City. We also work with a range of nonprofits and NGOs, including Teach for America and the Inter-American Development Bank, as well as the US Military.
Our platform has four parts to cover each stage of the application journey, from exploring options to applying and final selection and admission:
Avela Explore - Mobile-optimized school finder and opportunity navigator
Avela Apply - Streamlined application management system and tracking
Avela Match - Research-based admission and student assignment lottery system.
We also offer a range of consulting services to help districts implement enrollment reforms and advance equity in educational programs.
Learn more at avela.org.
Avela was founded by a renowned team of visionaries, including Nobel Laureate Joshua Angrist, Clark Medalist Parag Pathak, and social entrepreneur Greg Bybee. We have a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists - get to know us at https://avela.org/team.
We are a flexible, fully remote company. We just ask that everyone work continental US hours to facilitate collaboration. #LI-Remote
We love our team and care about their wellness. We strive to offer the best benefits of our peers, including:
-- Significant equity
-- Flexible work policies
-- Unlimited vacation
-- Fome office stipend or WeWork membership
-- 401(k) program
-- Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
-- Dependent Care Saving Plan (DCFSA)
-- Commuter Benefits
-- Life Insurance by Guardian (covered 100%)
-- Platinum Medical Plan by UnitedHealthcare (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
-- Platinum Dental Plan by Guardian Health (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
-- Platinum Vision Plan by Guardian Health (Employees 100%, Dependents 40%)
Learn more at avela.org/careers.
More Information on Avela
Avela operates in the Other industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA. Avela was founded in 2019. It has 13 total employees. To see all 10 open jobs at Avela, click here.
Read Full Job Description