Covid 19 Update - Please Read:
Cityblock requires those hired into this position to provide proof that they have received the COVID-19 vaccine. Any individuals subject to this requirement may submit for consideration a request to be exempted from the requirement (based on a valid religious or medical reason) on forms to be provided by Cityblock. Such requests will be subject to review and approval by the Company, and exemptions will be granted only if the Company can provide a reasonable accommodation in relation to the requested exemption. Note that approvals for reasonable accommodations are reviewed and approved on a case-by-case basis and availability of a reasonable accommodation is not guaranteed. This vaccination requirement is based, in part, on recently established government requirements. The requirement is also based on the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine in protecting against COVID-19, and our shared responsibility for the health and safety of members, colleagues, and community.
Cityblock Health is the first tech-driven provider for communities with complex needs—bringing better care to where it’s needed most, block by block. Founded in 2017 on the premise that “health is local” and based in Brooklyn, we are backed by Alphabet’s Sidewalk Labs along with some of the top healthcare investors in the country.
Our mission is to improve the health of underserved communities. Importantly, our solutions are designed specifically for Medicaid and lower-income Medicare beneficiaries, and we meet our members where they are, bringing care into the home and neighborhoods through our community-based care teams and Virtual Care offerings.
In close collaboration with community-based organizations, local providers, and leading health plans, we are reorganizing the health system to focus on what matters to our members. Equipped with world-class, custom care delivery technology, we deliver personalized primary care, behavioral health, and social services to deliver a radically better experience of care for every member and community we serve.
Over the next year, we’ll grow quickly to bring better care to many more members and their communities. To do this, we need people who, like us, believe that everyone should have good care for what matters to them, in their community.
Our work is grounded in a belief in the power of a diverse community. To close gaps in care and advance equity in the communities we serve, we have to start with making our own team diverse and inclusive. Our ways of working are characterized by creativity, collaboration, and mutual learning that comes from bringing together a community from diverse backgrounds and perspectives. We strive to ensure that every person on the Cityblock team, and every Cityblock member, feels supported and included as a part of our community.
- Aim for Understanding
- Be All In
- Bring Your Whole Self
- Lean Into Discomfort
- Put Members First
About our Team:
We employ a field-based, home-based care model and are committed to meeting members where they are--in their homes, in their community, and in our Hubs. You will go above and beyond to connect with members in a non-judgmental, respectful and empathic manner, to meet their needs, and to provide feedback to the system as a whole as we strive to do better every day.
About the Role:
As a Market Medical Director, you will be responsible for providing medical oversight to clinical staff across our community-based care teams and multiple Cityblock clinic locations in the market. You will collaborate with our partners, and lead the development and refinement of clinical practices and policies.
- Play a lead role in development, monitoring, evaluation, and quality improvement activities across multiple hubs, including review of member and care team quality of care concerns
- Drive program development and integration of clinical innovations, including community medicine, care transitions, palliative care, and others.
- Ensure appropriate clinical supervision and oversight of Medical Directors, Associate Medical Directors, Physicians, and Advanced Practice Clinicians who are managing members with complex physical, cognitive, and behavioral health needs as a part of an interdisciplinary care team
- You will also support clinicians providing services at the hub operating within the market
- Share responsibility with General Manager for Total Cost of Care and other market metrics
- Be a strategic leader for Cityblock in the provider community
- Interface with partner PCPs, specialists, hospitals, and community based organizations to promote an understanding of Cityblock’s model, facilitate collaboration, and promote effective patient co-management
- You will be responsible for cost of care initiatives at Cityblock and partner with your local teams to develop initiatives to support high quality member care
- You will also be responsible for: clinical risk management, achieving practice-level and individual patient quality outcomes
- You will partner with Cityblock’s data and operations teams to understand potential drivers of utilization. You will be responsible for translating this information to local Medical Directors and working with them on potential solutions
- Spearhead clinical quality and performance improvement initiatives that may span multiple locations
- You will support your Medical Directors in clinical best practice adoption with specific focus on providing appropriate care to complex populations and furthering the integration of behavioral health and primary care services
- Participate in the development and delivery of educational content around complex care delivery, geriatrics and palliative care, chronic disease management, and integration of primary and behavioral health needs.
- Assist in training and mentoring new employees as needed.
- Provide clinical care to a small panel of members with complex needs, with an emphasis on chronic disease management, primary behavioral health, primary palliative care and substance use disorder diagnosis and treatment
- You will participate in appropriate strategic, clinical committees meetings locally and centrally to support Cityblock’s programs across our markets
- Attend external meetings and activities, and maintains professional credentialing and CME standards
- Work daily within our custom-built care facilitation platform, Commons
- You will work a full-time week. You will also participate in a Saturday Rotation and the Cityblock on-call schedule. Your work may take you outside of normal business hours as urgent member needs arise.
Requirements for the Role:
- You are an independent self-starter, a leader, and a strategic thinker who is excited about the big picture of whole community health, and the ongoing evaluation and iteration of our care model
- You are an MD or DO, Board Certified in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, or Medicine-Pediatrics with an unrestricted license to practice in the state in which you are employed with Cityblock
- You are an experienced Clinical Leader and have worked at a strategic level to support multi-site clinics and/or dispersed community-based teams across a geographic region
- You know how to build clinical teams and structures at scale
- You have developed teams, supervised clinical team members, and have held administrative roles in clinical organizations or other innovative care models
- You have experience providing clinical services to individuals with co-occurring chronic medical and behavioral health conditions, and have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations.
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team, and specifically working alongside community health workers or care coordination staff
- Have interest in serving complex, vulnerable, and disabled populations
- Proven skills, knowledge base, and judgment necessary for independent clinical decision-making.
- You are excited to use technology to support your work and help drive the ongoing evaluation toward new and better care
- You are proficient in reviewing and responding to critical member health and population data
- You have an unrestricted driver’s license and vehicle for daily use
- Have proficient experience using and navigating an EMR
How We Define Success:
- At thirty days, you will have a foundational understanding of the Cityblock models of care as well as the core leadership responsibilities
- At sixty days, you will have begun clinical care and supervision of your regional teams
- At ninety days, you will have established yourself in your leadership roles, inclusive of managing your team, working within your regional and institutional leadership structures, and are understanding and responding to the data and metrics of your market’s member population
- By six months, you are comfortable and largely facile in all current functions of your role within your Cityblock practice
- By one year, as market-wide leadership, you are actively collaborating on the strategies needed for further advancement, strengthening and evolution of the Cityblock models of care on a regional level
Nice to Have, But Not Required:
- Home-visiting clinical experience preferred
- You have experience with quality improvement, monitoring and evaluation, health systems strengthening, innovation and training
- You have additional work experience as a geriatrician or behavioral health specialist in a low-income community or in a community health setting
- Experience working collaboratively with an interdisciplinary care team, and specifically working alongside community health workers or care coordination staff.
- DEA-approved to provide buprenorphine treatment for substance use disorder
What We’d Like From You:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
- A short cover letter, please!
Cityblock values diversity as a core tenet of the work we do and the populations we serve. We are an equal opportunity employer, indiscriminate of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other protected characteristic.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from outside recruiters/placement agencies. Cityblock will not pay fees associated with resumes presented through unsolicited means.