Checkr’s mission is to build a fairer future by designing technology to create opportunities for all. We believe all candidates, regardless of who they are, should have a fair chance to work. Established in 2014 and valued at $5B, Checkr is using technology to bring hiring to the next level. Our People Trust Platform uses machine learning to help thousands of companies modernize their background check process and make hiring safer, more efficient, and more inclusive. Some of our customers include Uber, Instacart, Doordash, Netflix, Compass Group, and Adecco.
A career with Checkr is an opportunity to work with some of the best and brightest minds, disrupt an industry for a better future, and give otherwise overlooked candidates access to employment. Checkr has been recognized in Forbes Best Startup Employers and is a top Y Combinator company by valuation.
Checkr is looking for a Head of Communications as we prepare for an exciting next phase of growth. We’re looking for a leader who has a solid understanding of the technology industry, thrives in a high growth environment and can easily toggle between being a strategic leader and a doer. Ideally this leader also has strong relationships with media, particularly tech media.
In this role you will be responsible for building the Checkr brand through media and comms programs. Your team will be responsible for the strategic narrative, thought leadership content, executive communications, PR programs, & social media strategy. Your goal will be to solidify our brand positioning, drive messaging consistency and increase our brand awareness across all internal and external stakeholders.
- Define communications strategy for PR and Social -- for all audiences (customers, candidates (unique to our market), employees, influencers etc.)
- Develop the strategic narrative and thought leadership strategy (leveraging executive leaders, customers, our mission partners, proprietary research etc.)
- Work cross-functionally with Product Marketing, Demand Generation & Brand Studio teams to ensure that our narrative is effectively and consistently represented across all channels
- Partner with our CEO (and other C-staff) on his thought leadership platform and brand evangelism
- Work closely with our legal team for proactive and reactive crisis/ issues management as well as public policy comms
- Leverage social media and other reputation management platforms to increase Checkr’s brand awareness and shape our brand perception favorably across all audiences (customers and candidates).
- Lead, manage and build a high performing team
What you bring:
- Corporate communications / public relations experience in the technology sector
- Experience leading and scaling teams that span beyond PR (to social, content etc.)
- Experience working with executives at all levels
- Excellent program management skills to manage multiple projects and stakeholders
- Ability to strategize but be hands on as needed
- Personal relationships with media
- Product/ Tech/ Developer evangelism experience
- Media Reference checks will be required during our interview process
The base salary for this position will vary based on geography and other factors. In accordance with Colorado law, the base salary for this role if filled within Colorado is $174,122-$204,850.
What you get
- A fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Learning and development allowance
- Competitive compensation and opportunity for advancement
- 100% medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Up to 25K reimbursement for fertility, adoption, and parental planning services
- Flexible PTO policy
- Monthly wellness stipend, home office stipend
Equal Employment Opportunities at Checkr
Checkr is committed to hiring talented and qualified individuals with diverse backgrounds for all of its tech, non-tech, and leadership roles. Checkr believes that the gathering and celebration of unique backgrounds, qualities, and cultures enriches the workplace.
Checkr also welcomes the opportunity to consider qualified applicants with prior arrest or conviction records. Checkr’s commitment to diversity extends to hiring talented individuals in spite of a prior criminal history in accordance with local, state, and/or federal laws, including the San Francisco’s Fair Chance Ordinance.