Director, Marketing Operations at Thumbtack (Remote)
A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $500B industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in all 3,143 U.S. counties
- 70 million projects started on Thumbtack
- More than 4 million customers in the last 12 months
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- More than 8 million 5-star reviews for our stellar pros
- 1000+ employees and $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
We’re a team of digital marketers that create engaging campaigns across channels and we work closely with cross-functional partners (Brand, Product, Engineering, and Data Science) to drive growth on both sides of Thumbtack’s marketplace. We are nimble, and innovative and our team’s mission is to help customers solve their home care needs by discovering and using Thumbtack’s platform.About the Role
You will lead our marketing operations team and build on the foundations in place. You will set the team up for success by delivering the right infrastructure and technology to scale, driving automation and customer personalization. You will own and maintain business prioritization and road mapping of all marketing-related technical work. You will be the primary point of contact between marketing and the Marketing Tech cross-functional group (Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science).Responsibilities
- Evolve our marketing operations team to better support our growth and vision of delivering a more personalized, relevant, and consistent multi-channel experience
- Develop strategic roadmap, partnering with cross-functional teams and TPM, to improve processes, ensure data integrity, and build scalable marketing technologies that drive campaign automation and customer personalization
- Understand growth marketing team’s needs and represent requirements and priorities throughout planning processes
- Manage operations to deliver on customer engagement programs (email, SMS, in-app messaging, direct mail, etc.) and paid marketing programs
- Evaluate vendors and manage relationships for tools and services
- Lead, coach, and develop high-performing team that is engaged and motivated to achieve Thumbtack's mission
- Establish best practices and operating standards for the team
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 10+ years of relevant experience
- Well versed in Marketing channels (email, SMS, app, paid, etc.) and processes and how to enable them through technology
- Experience working with MarTech (e.g. ESP, CDP, CMS, Google AdWords, Facebook, etc.)
- Proven record of building scalable processes and multichannel solutions, with a bias for action
- Demonstrated experience using data to inform decision making & strategy planning
- Outstanding communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills; able to work through others to achieve results
- 4+ years of people management experience, excellent leadership skills with the confidence to lead, manage and engage team members (both direct and indirect reports)
- Experience in a high growth tech company and/or two-sided marketplace app/company
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity combined with big-picture thinking
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines*. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis. Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. In cities with 5+ employees, we are establishing local communities, where employees can gather for local events. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries. We always prioritize the health and safety of our employees. Currently, participation in these events and Thumbtack library use are optional. Both require employees to be fully vaccinated.
Benefits & Perks
- Virtual-first working model coupled with quarterly in-person events and Camp Thumbtack
- 20+ company-wide holidays including two week-long shutdowns
- Libraries (collaborative workspaces) in San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto, and Manila
- Stipends for remote work support, home office set-up and Thumbtack services
- Cell phone and WiFi reimbursements
- Subscriptions and Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact [email protected].*Currently, Thumbtackers can live anywhere in Ontario or British Columbia, Canada or the Philippines or in any of the following US states: AZ, CA, CO, CT, FL, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, NE, NV, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OK, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, Washington DC. Our long term vision is to hire across all of the United States and Canada, but this expansion will take a few years.