Corporate & Policy Communications Lead, EMEA at Square (Remote)
We started with a simple idea - that everyone should be able to accept credit cards - and we’ve been rethinking buying and selling ever since. For sellers, we’re creating one cohesive service to run your entire business, from a register in your pocket to analytics on your laptop. For buyers, we’re making it faster to order from the businesses you love and more fun to pay your friends back. And we’re redefining the world’s relationship with money with Cash App. Buying and selling sound like simple things - and they should be. Somewhere along the way, they got complicated. We’re working hard to make commerce easy for everyone.Job Description
Our Global Corporate Communications team is made up of tough, quick-witted, entrepreneurial, and intellectually curious people. We communicate to the world Block’s purpose of economic empowerment and our mission to empower businesses, artists and individuals with easy-to-use, elegant tools that give them an advantage where they previously had none.
Block is seeking an extraordinary communications professional to join the Corporate Communications function, which is responsible for protecting and advocating for Block’s brand globally. Reporting to the Head of International Corporate Communications, you will work closely with executives and teams across Block’s business units in EMEA (Europe, Middle East & Africa). The role requires creativity, the ability to work cross-functionally and in partnership with other teams, and to synthesize and communicate complex subject matter with ease.
- Lead communications for Block’s business across EMEA, including the corporate brand Block, as well as varying levels of support for our multiple business units
- Lead policy comms for Block, including partnering with our Policy lead for the region on political brand building activity that tells our story to elected officials and policymakers
- You’ll maintain an executive corporate speaking calendar and manage speaking opportunities in EMEA for Block executives, and for our business partners in EMEA
- You’ll partner with the Policy team to proactively tell Block’s story to external audiences
- Protect Block, Inc’s reputation and provide sound corporate communications counsel on a range of sensitive topics, including M&A, crises and issues and regulatory affairs
- Manage ongoing media relations across EMEA; maintain relationships with essential national business, financial and technology press in the region
- Work with many teams inside Block, including finance, investor relations, legal, government relations, product, design, internal communications, and others.
- Develop written materials, including company messaging and statements, press releases, communications plans, FAQs, and other collateral.
- Be a spokesperson on crucial media interactions, including crisis communications and issues that might affect our business and corporate reputation.
- Oversee major corporate announcements.
- 7+ years relevant work experience, either at a PR agency or on an in-house communications team.
- Fluent business English, with additional European languages a plus.
- Previous communications experience with a consumer financial technology company and/or publicly-traded companies.
- Experience pitching financial, business and technology publications.
- An understanding of the bigger picture and experience advancing company narratives in the down-cycles between corporate announcements.
- Ability to synthesize complex concepts to create essential messages that are consistent but tailored to multiple partners.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Skills in shaping and executing simultaneous projects. You can multitask and work effectively in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Experience working with senior leaders and teams across an organization, including finance, legal, corporate development, investor relations, product, engineering, business, and customer support.
- Enthusiasm, an exceptional work ethic, a self-starter attitude, and a belief in the mission of Block.
- Curiosity, creative thinking, and a sense of humor.
- An appreciation of the Oxford comma.
We’re working to build a more inclusive economy where our customers have equal access to opportunity, and we strive to live by these same values in building our workplace. Block is a proud equal opportunity employer. We work hard to evaluate all employees and job applicants consistently, based solely on the core competencies required of the role at hand, and without regard to any legally protected class.
We believe in being fair, and are committed to an inclusive interview experience, including providing reasonable accommodations to disabled applicants throughout the recruitment process. We encourage applicants to share any needed accommodations with their recruiter, who will treat these requests as confidentially as possible. Want to learn more about what we’re doing to build a workplace that is fair and square? Check out our I+D page.
We want you to be well and thrive. Our global benefits package includes:
- Healthcare coverage
- Retirement Plans
- Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Wellness perks
- Paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Learning and Development resources
Block, Inc. (NYSE: SQ) is a global technology company with a focus on financial services. Made up of Square, Cash App, Spiral, TIDAL, and TBD54566975, we build tools to help more people access the economy. Square helps sellers run and grow their businesses with its integrated ecosystem of commerce solutions, business software, and banking services. With Cash App, anyone can easily send, spend, or invest their money in stocks or Bitcoin. Spiral (formerly Square Crypto) builds and funds free, open-source Bitcoin projects. Artists use TIDAL to help them succeed as entrepreneurs and connect more deeply with fans. TBD54566975 is building an open developer platform to make it easier to access Bitcoin and other blockchain technologies without having to go through an institution.