Title: Communications Manager
Location: Palo Alto, CA
Reporting to: Manager, Public Relations
Hippo is modernizing home insurance by putting customers at the center of everything we do. Using innovative technology and a data-driven approach, we strive to provide homeowners with the best policies, best value, and best customer service in the industry. And as if that wasn’t enough, it’s really just the beginning. Hippo’s true ambition lies in helping prevent people from experiencing problems with their homes, to begin with. Because, at the end of the day, the best home insurance policy is the one you never have to use.
Hippo is looking for an experienced Communications Manager to join our growing communications team. This person will play a key role in the ownership of many of the media relations activities across Hippo’s core business functions, from product, growth, to brand communications. This newly created position will be an illustrative storyteller of the communications team, helping grow positive public perception and understanding of Hippo across various audiences. This person will be on the front lines with the media on a daily basis, leveraging their relationships to creatively showcase Hippo’s innovative, customer centric approach to various audiences within the homeownership category.
Our ideal candidate is a confident communicator with a solid roster of media relationships and a desire to engage with journalists across the insurance, fintech, national and regional consumer markets. This person will be a critical voice and advocate for the media on behalf of our business, answering questions and developing talking points for various audiences.
What You’ll Do:
- Regularly reviewing and reporting on media coverage
- Cultivating relationships with influential print, digital and broadcast journalists or thought leaders
- Writing media releases and other press materials
- Working closely with our internal and agency partners to develop strategies for continued storytelling
- Track industry trend lines across relevant industries
- Keep a finger on the pulse of culture, to uncover new opportunities
- Bachelor’s degree
- 5-7 years of relevant experience in public relations
- Strong ties to the media and a knack for storytelling
- Superb writing skills
- Ability to distill difficult/nuanced topics into clear and understandable communications
- Excellent verbal communication skills
Nice to Haves:
- In-house experience at a growth company
- PR agency experience
- Insurance and/or fintech experience
- Consumer and/or lifestyle experience
Compensation and Perks:
- Healthy Hippos Benefits- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision plan options for our team members AND their families (yes, you read that correctly).
- 401K, long & short term disability, EAP and flexible spending accounts
- Flexible Paid Time Off - Uncapped PTO policy
- Hippo Habitat - Fun offices located in downtown Palo Alto, less than a 5 minute walk from Caltrain. We also offer commuter benefits and parking passes. Stocked kitchen and BBQ Friday’s for all!
Hippo is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building a team culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion.
Hippo’s applicants are considered solely based on their qualifications, without regard to an applicant’s disability or need for accommodation. Any Hippo applicant who requires reasonable accommodations during the application process should contact the Hippo’s People Team to make the need for an accommodation known.