Comms & PR Lead at Retool (New York City, NY)
At Retool, we’re changing the way software is built. We’ve developed the fastest way to build internal tools, saving companies time, resources, and engineering bandwidth. Whether it’s refunding orders, underwriting loans, managing marketplaces, rolling out new features, analyzing transactions, or providing customer support, Retool makes it dramatically faster and easier to build internal tools that teams need. We believe that the future of software development lies in being a force multiplier for developers and technical builders, helping them move considerably faster building a lot more software. We’re looking for highly collaborative people as we build a world-class team to support this mission and we’d love for you to join us!
WHY WE’RE LOOKING FOR YOU:
In the past few decades, there has been very little innovation in programming. As Y Combinator notes, “the frameworks are better, the languages a bit more clever, but mostly we’re doing the same things.” There are many companies that say they’re tackling this challenge, but few have the results to back it: today, some of the most recognizable companies already rely on Retool to run their businesses—from Amazon and NBC to DoorDash, Stripe, and OpenAI.
That’s where you come in. We need to get the word out about Retool: our unique approach, our constantly-improving product, and our fantastic team. We believe sharing that in authentic and novel ways will intrigue developers and enterprises alike to check us out.
We’re looking for a hands-on communications leader, reporting directly to our Head of Marketing. This role will be instrumental in defining Retool’s identity and messaging for the years ahead, drive our comms and media strategy across all channels, help us find the most interesting stories to tell across our product and customer base, and elevate Retool’s brand and awareness amongst our target audiences and the broader market.
If you have a strong track record of shaping iconic tech brands, and love working in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, we’d love to chat!
IN THIS ROLE, YOU'LL:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive PR and Communications strategy that aligns with our business goals and elevates Retool’s awareness and cache
- Build relationships with key journalists and media outlets to secure coverage for Retool in top-tier publications
- Create engaging content, including press releases, blog posts, and thought leadership articles, that highlights Retool’s unique value proposition
- Bring a passion for storytelling and creating compelling narratives out of thin air; everything from an interesting customer use case to a data insight to spotlighting a unique approach
- Use your technical fluency to translate complex ideas to multiple audiences — whether that’s more traditional outlets or through analysts or the new guard of newsletters, podcasts, etc.
- Collaborate closely with our executive team, engineering organization to identify new product features and use cases that can be used to craft compelling stories about Retool's impact on the industry
- Work closely with the Marketing and DX teams to develop and execute integrated campaigns that amplify Retool’s message
- Monitor and analyze media coverage to measure the impact of our PR and Comms efforts and adjust our strategy as needed
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and best practices to continually improve Retool’s PR and Comms efforts
- Manage external PR agencies and freelancers, as needed
THE SKILLSET YOU'LL BRING:
- 10+ years of experience in PR and Communications in tech companies, with at least 4 years of in-house experience
- Strong book of reporter relationships, especially those that cover software and devtools; a proven track record of securing corporate and product coverage
- Ability to think strategically and develop creative solutions to complex problems
- Strong project management skills; prioritize and manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to work collaboratively with cross-functional teams, such as engineering, DX, and other marketing functions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Retool offers generous benefits to all employees. For more information, please visit the benefits and perks section of our careers page!
At this time, Retool is only set up to employ in the US and UK.