Mercari is Your Marketplace. We make it super easy to sell (or buy) almost anything. We all have things we don’t use, never used or simply outgrew. But that stuff still has value. Mercari gives you the power to simply sell it, ship it, and earn some cash for it. Fashion to toys. Sporting goods to electronics. All the brands you know and love. Our mission is simple: to make selling easier than buying. And with 50M+ downloads in the U.S. and 350k+ new listings every day, we're just getting started.
We’re looking for a Senior Marketing Attorney to work with our growing Marketing team to help craft impactful and compliant messaging across a variety of platforms and media. Experience with DMCA notice and takedown procedure and Section 230 issues, as well as familiarity with privacy law would also be very helpful for this role.
What You’ll Do:
- You will partner with our Marketing team to support growing brand awareness, go-to-market activities, compliance initiatives, content review (in all forms of media), and general marketing support. Provide timely, practical review of marketing collateral, including print, display, search, social media, in-app and other forms of advertising and promotions.
- You will advise our product teams on new features and product development.
- You will provide pragmatic day to day and strategic advice to minimize legal risks while advancing business goals and initiatives. Educate and train business and legal colleagues on marketing law developments and best practices by creating and maintaining playbooks and conducting internal training. Identify areas for improvement in internal processes and drive implementation.
- You will draft and negotiate relevant contracts such as insertion orders for digital advertising sales and buys, ad agency agreements, adtech agreements, co-marketing deals, influencer and sponsorships that touch almost every line of business at Mercari.
- We respect the intellectual property rights of others, and we expect Mercari users to do the same. You will provide primary legal support for Mercari’s team that addresses intellectual property (e.g. DMCA, trademark, publicity and patent) and related claims regarding listings on the Mercari marketplace. This involves providing actionable guidance on the validity of incoming claims, responding to rights owners/brands and their counsel, and drafting and implementing new policies and procedures to address the evolving state of the law and our growing marketplace.
- This aspect of the role requires deep knowledge of IP, the ability to effectively convey legal concepts to non-lawyers, and diplomacy and poise to de-escalate potential disputes with third parties, including rights owners.
- You will work with our Compliance Team and internal business partners to provide guidance on privacy laws (e.g. CCPA, CPRA), regulations, and industry guidelines to incorporate those principles into the product development process. This aspect of the role can expand depending on the interests and ability of the successful candidate.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- J.D. degree and membership in at least one state bar.
- Minimum 8+ years of relevant experience, prior in-house experience preferred.
- Familiarity and interest in online marketplaces and related businesses.
- Excellent drafting, written and verbal communication skills and ability to adapt legal requirements in balanced, creative and pragmatic ways to facilitate clear and open communication at all levels of the organization.
- Strong oral communication skills and cooperative team player. Lead with empathy and understanding while embracing diverse points of view, to build meaningful relationships and trust with internal clients and leaders.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize key tasks in a fast-paced, growing enterprise.
Small enough to make an impact, but established enough to provide the stability you need to be successful, Mercari is the best of both worlds. At Mercari you are encouraged to take risks. And when you do, you can do it confidently, knowing you have a team and a company that supports you.
As we grow, your career opportunities with Mercari grow. As our teams expand, your responsibilities expand. Our teams are supported with access to new tools, technologies, and learning opportunities. We will never stop growing.
- Flexibility: Work remote from anywhere in the US and receive flexible time off
- Wellbeing: Top-notch insurance plans, best-in-class new parent offerings and access to mind and body wellness apps
- Growth: As we grow, your career opportunities grow, we provide access to new tools, technologies and learning opportunities
- Comprehensive and total rewards: We provide a strong financial foundation and rewards that go beyond the paycheck
- Teamwork: We are each other's biggest fans- we celebrate from virtual coffee breaks to recognition programs
-Additional information (Colorado only)* Compensation for this position starts at $106,700 + benefits and includes eligibility for quarterly incentive compensation based on individual performance. Information about our benefits can be found here: https://www.mercari.com/careers/ *Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into a location in Colorado.
Mercari is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer
Mercari prides itself on the diversity of its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, national origin, race, religion, marital status, veteran status, disability status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other class protected by applicable law.