Remote in the United States
Mercy For Animals aims to end industrial animal agriculture by constructing a just and sustainable food system. We envision a world where animals are respected, protected, and free.
As a leading farmed animal advocacy organization, we know that achieving this goal requires a diverse, inclusive, and collaborative work environment—one that welcomes and sparks new perspectives and innovative ideas. If you are passionate about our mission, driven to make a big impact for animals, and eager to be part of a dedicated team, join us!
We currently seek a senior staff attorney to join our legal affairs team. In this role, you will provide legal support to Mercy For Animals’ programs and operations while furthering our mission, with a particular focus on supporting Mercy For Animals’ international expansion and international corporate engagement work.
You will do invaluable work:
- Provide legal advice on Mercy For Animals’ various activities, competently handling any legal issues that arise during day-to-day operations, including relating to programmatic work and to applicable laws and corporate matters
- Work closely with Mercy For Animals’ international-expansion team, and provide guidance and support in legal areas related to international expansion and international operations, including assessment of risks, corporate structuring, and various compliance considerations
- Provide legal guidance and support to international corporate campaign programmatic work, including assessment of risks, data privacy, and compliance with local laws
- Engage and manage outside counsel local to areas of international expansion and international corporate campaign programmatic work to ensure compliance with applicable local laws and legal and regulatory requirements
- Review and draft contracts and other legal documents, including coordinating with internal stakeholders and negotiating with outside parties
- Provide legal research, advice, and other legal assistance as requested by internal clients or directed by the general counsel
- Develop and deliver trainings for staff on legal and corporate issues
- Assist with supporting and delegating work to staff attorneys, paralegals, and interns on the legal affairs team
- Assist with ensuring strong corporate governance and corporate record-keeping practices
- Develop and maintain close working relationships with private pro bono counsel, outside counsel, and attorneys in other animal protection organizations
- Adhere to all organizational policies and procedures
- Perform any other duties assigned by the deputy general counsel and general counsel
Your qualifications will take our legal affairs team to the next level:
- Admission and good standing in at least one U.S. state to practice law
- Minimum of seven years’ experience practicing law (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to convey complex issues to leadership in a clear, concise manner
- Proven exceptional organizational and writing skills
- Ability to take initiative and complete projects independently, including handling multiple projects simultaneously
- Demonstrated thoroughness and attention to detail in your work
- Ability to work well in a team setting and outstanding interpersonal skills
- Desire to take on a variety of new tasks and challenges as the organization expands and grows in complexity
- Any combination of the following (a plus): professional or personal experience in an international setting, data-privacy experience, management experience, demonstrated interest in animal law issues, experience representing or serving in leadership of a nonprofit organization
- Ability to travel around one to two times per year for retreats or conferences
- Commitment to Mercy For Animals’ mission and values
- Commitment to continued personal and organizational growth in diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice principles
About Your Team Leader
Your team leader, Patrick, serves as deputy general counsel in Mercy For Animals’ legal affairs department. Before joining the organization, he worked in private practice as a commercial litigator and served as in-house counsel at a large financial institution. He is a process-driven problem solver who values input from all team members to foster a collaborative work environment. He encourages team members to approach their work with a growth mindset and a strong sense of ownership.
Compensation and Benefits
Earn an annual salary of $70,000–$82,000, depending on qualifications, and enjoy a commute-free life as a remote team member. In addition to a collaborative and innovative work environment, you will be able to take part in our benefits package, including no- or low-cost health, vision, and dental insurance; generous paid time off and sick leave; and a 401(k) retirement plan, with a dollar-to-dollar employer match of up to 3 percent of your annual salary.
We consider traditional and nontraditional qualifications and carefully review each application, resume, and cover letter. Feel encouraged to go outside a traditional cover letter and state how you would add to our culture; what we would gain from having you on our team; and how you align with our organizational vision, mission, and values.
Our Commitment to You
Mercy For Animals is a globally minded organization. We are committed to the principles of equity and justice, and our culture celebrates authenticity—enabling every team member to shine. All employment decisions are based solely on individual qualifications, job needs, and job requirements, and potential team members of every color, orientation, age, gender, origin, veteran status, and ability are encouraged to apply. We strive to include candidates from historically marginalized communities and those from or in communities impacted by environmental, social, and economic injustice.
Come as you are, and help us transform our society and construct a truly compassionate food system.