Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced product counsel to join our product legal team as Senior Counsel, Ecosystems. This position will report to our Director & Associate General Counsel for Ecosystems/Platform, and will be working on a variety of products, both internal and C2B/B2B customer-facing. This is a highly visible role throughout Coinbase, which will require you to build strong relationships with your teammates and business partners. You’ll be embedded with Coinbase product teams, and collaborate closely with product managers, engineers, UI/UX, and cross-department colleagues including privacy, regulatory and international counsel, Compliance and Finance. You’ll take a thought leadership role in advising our Product business on specific aspects of product development and implementation.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Join and contribute to a best-in-class crypto product legal team, embedded with the Ecosystems business.
- Integrate into the day-to-day operations of Coinbase Ecosystems, providing legal, business and strategic advice. Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute on their product roadmap.
- Provide full product life-cycle counseling, from ideation and development to launch, operation and sunset.
- Ensure product compliance with applicable U.S. and international laws and regulations, in close collaboration with colleagues in the Legal and Compliance teams.
- Identify issues that may fall outside your expertise, driving resolution by partnering with other members of the Coinbase legal team and with outside counsel.
- Work cross-departmentally, including with stakeholders such as Compliance, Communications, Finance, Tax, Security, Enterprise Risk Management, Data, Analytics, and Corporate Development.
- Respond promptly to a wide range of complex legal requests and coordinate closely with Legal department colleagues to ensure the swift delivery of smart, practical advice.
- Operate in a fast paced, demanding environment and pivot quickly to meet leadership's needs.
- Recognize priority initiatives and effectively manage your clients and your advice to scale your advice and provide the right level of guidance for request at hand.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Currently licensed in a U.S. state. J.D. or equivalent with 7+ years of legal experience, preferably with in-house experience with a consumer technology, fintech or crypto/blockchain company.
- You have experience counseling product teams in launching financial services or technology products and have a clear understanding of the legal structure and regulatory architecture for those products.
- You are familiar with regulatory regimes for financial instruments generally (e.g., securities, commodities, derivatives, crypto), including lending, trading, custodial and non-custodial management of assets, and settlement of those instruments.
- You have a strong interest in digital currency, blockchain technology, and innovative constructs pioneered by decentralized finance.
- You’re familiar with the global laws and regulations, and agencies associated with payments, financial services and technology companies, including money transmission laws, bitlicense, banking regulations, e-money issuance, CCPA, CDA Section 230, CFPB, CFTC, FCA, FTC Section 5 and UDAAP, GDPR, NYDFS, OCC, and the SEC.
- You have proven problem-solving, communication and interpersonal skills.
- You exercise excellent legal judgment with analytic rigor, prudential risk assessment, and a balance of realizable creativity and pragmatism.
- You are comfortable with risk-adjusted thinking, and can understand when interpretive flexibility is warranted.
- You are team-oriented and collaborative, you bring cross-departmental colleagues to the table, and build your practice to enable your clients to successfully build and launch crypto products at Coinbase.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.