As Atlassian's growth surges, our Legal team is no exception! Are you an attorney looking to help build innovative privacy programs at the forefront of technology? We're looking for an experienced Privacy & Product Counsel to join this dynamic and collaborative team, and help develop privacy programs that puts fundamental rights first, builds on customer trust in our platform and leads our industry on privacy and social impact.
Like our customers, we use Atlassian products to lead the charge in the future of work, and collaborate asynchronously with global teams. We believe in open and collaborative work, leading with kindness and empathy, and delivering thought leadership beyond what's required for "minimum legal compliance". It helps to bring a growth mindset, a desire to use and understand our products, intellectual curiosity, and a thirst for innovation!
In this role, you'll get to:
- Help strengthen Atlassian's privacy program by advising on data platform and lifecycle practices - focusing on proper data access, use, ethics, and retention
- Provide guidance on compliance with global privacy and data security laws, regulations and industry standards. No more law firm memos!
- Partner with the business (engineering, product, analytics, security, etc.) on global privacy related initiatives
- Support efforts to build trustworthy, data privacy-conscious products that our customers love
- Design scalable processes for implementation
- Provide product counseling throughout the development process
- Participate in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts
- Creatively build upon and drive awareness around privacy and data protection issues, including developing and delivering training on relevant privacy, data security, and data governance-related matters
- Engage with the privacy legal community to understand evolving issues and to help Atlassian provide an industry-leading privacy program for our customers and partners
- You have a strong understanding of software technology and cloud services, associated business models, and technology industry trends
- You're keenly aware of privacy and data protection issues that our users - end users, organization administrators, developers, enterprise customers, or consumers - are likely focused on when considering or using our products
- You have a solid understanding of global privacy and data protection law and trends
- You listen carefully to understand the challenges faced by the business in meeting legal requirements
- You apply this experience, knowledge, and customer-centric thinking to provide privacy legal advice in support of our products, customer engagements, acquired companies, and internal business operations
- You think creatively beyond the "legal" box to generate possible solutions and options for the business, clearly articulating ethical and risk-based recommendations
- You effectively communicate with the business to help them understand and follow the rules and parameters imposed by data privacy laws
- You take initiative to master new subject areas, whether new laws, new technologies or new business strategies
- You effectively navigate a decentralized and complex organization spread across the globe
- You build relationships with business partners to strengthen the connection between our team and the business
- 5+ years practicing law and qualified to proactive law in your local jurisdiction
- CIPP certification
- Passion to understand our customers, products, culture, and business model
- Deep knowledge of applicable privacy regulations (GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, etc.)
- Extensive experience working with technical teams to develop customer-centric solutions
- Practical experience and deep understanding of AI/machine learning and data analytics, and the impact on product development, data lifecycle, and customer expectations
- A knack for distilling complex legal and technical concepts into plain, concise language
- Strong judgment, intellectual curiosity, and a moral compass that takes your understanding, work product, and client relationships to the next level
- Demonstrated growth attitude and the ability to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced, and remote-friendly workplace
- A technical background isn't required, but a basic understanding of software engineering is a definite plus, as is a deep understanding of Atlassian's products, platform, and ecosystem, or an ability to quickly learn new business and technology concepts
More About You
On Your First Day, We'll Expect You To Have
More about our benefits
Whether you work in an office or a distributed team, Atlassian is highly collaborative and yes, fun! To support you at work (and play) we offer some fantastic perks: ample time off to relax and recharge, flexible working options, five paid volunteer days a year for your favourite cause, an annual allowance to support your learning & growth, unique ShipIt days, a company paid trip after five years and lots more.
More about Atlassian
Creating software that empowers everyone from small startups to the who's who of tech is why we're here. We build tools like Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, and Trello to help teams across the world become more nimble, creative, and aligned-collaboration is the heart of every product we dream of at Atlassian. From Amsterdam and Austin, to Sydney and San Francisco, we're looking for people who want to write the future and who believe that we can accomplish so much more together than apart. At Atlassian, we're committed to an environment where everyone has the autonomy and freedom to thrive, as well as the support of like-minded colleagues who are motivated by a common goal to: Unleash the potential of every team .
We believe that the unique contributions of all Atlassians is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, religion, national origin, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
If your experience looks a little different from what we've identified and you think you can rock the role, we'd love to learn more about you.
Learn more about Atlassian's culture, interviewing flow, and hiring process by checking out our Candidate Resource Hub .
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.