Senior New York Labor Law Claims Adjuster at Argo Group (Remote)
Argo Group is a leader in specialty insurance with a vibrant culture built on respect, equality, wellness and opportunity. We’re an innovative organization that’s small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference in our industry.
Our flexible workplace is continuously evolving to ensure all employees feel:
- Comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
- Confident that they will be treated respectfully.
- Recognized for their performance and provided with equal opportunities to succeed.
At Argo, skill meets opportunity. If you’re wired to raise your hand and ask, “Where can I help?”, you’ll thrive with us.
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities. Our Argo US Claims team delivers superior financial results, technical expertise and customer experience to all stakeholders engaged in the claim process. We hire and develop the best people, so we can deliver on the Argo claims promise.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Claims Adjuster to join our New York Labor Law claims team and work from our NYC office or remotely as a home-based employee or within a commutable distance of our NYC office. This individual will have the exciting opportunity to adjudicate highly complex New York Labor Law claims and contribute to providing superb results for our clients.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Working under limited technical direction and within broad limits and authority, adjudicate highly complex, New York Labor Law claims on assignments potentially with significant impact on departmental results.
- Solving difficult problems that requires an understanding of a broader set of issues.
- Reporting to senior management and underwriters on claims trends and developments.
- Investigating claims promptly and thoroughly.
- Analyzing claims forms, policies and endorsements, client instructions, and other records to determine whether the loss falls within the policy coverage.
- Investigating claims promptly and thoroughly, including interviewing all involved parties.
- Managing claims in litigation.
- Managing diary timely and complete tasks to ensure that cases move to the best financial outcome and timely resolution.
- Properly setting claim reserves.
- Identifying, assigning, and coordinating the assignment and coordination of expertise resources to assist in case resolution.
- Preparing reports for file documentation.
- Applying creative solutions which result in the best financial outcome.
- Negotiating settlements.
- Processing mail and prioritizing workload.
- Completing telephone calls and written correspondence to/from various parties (insured, claimant, etc.).
- Having an appreciation and passion for strong claim management.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Must have good business acumen (i.e. understand how an insurance company works and makes money, including how this role impacts both Argo Group and our customers’ ability to be profitable).
- An advanced knowledge of New York Labor Law claims through:
- A minimum of five years’ experience adjudicating New York Labor Law claims with extensive experience with exposure of $100,000 or more.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or multiple industry designations required. JD/Degree very strongly preferred. Two or more insurance designations or three additional years of related experience adjudicating New York Labor Law claims beyond the minimum experience required above may be substituted in lieu of a degree. Must possess or have ability to quickly obtain a license in each jurisdiction requiring a license to adjudicate first party claims.
- Must possess or have ability to quickly obtain a license in each jurisdiction requiring a license to adjudicate first party claims.
- Ability to regularly exercise discretion and independent judgment with respect to matters of significance.
- Ability to prioritize workload and handle multiple tasks.
- Ability to articulate the financial value of your work at multiple responsibility levels inside our clients’ business which may include the CEO.
- Exhibit a natural curiosity.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent evaluation and strategic skills required.
- Strong claim negotiation skills a must.
- Must possess a strong customer focus.
- Must work independently and demonstrate the ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite and other business-related software.
- Polished and professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to travel, sometimes overnight, approximately 10% of the time.
- The ability to read and write English fluently is required.
- Must demonstrate a desire for continued professional development through continuing education and self-development opportunities.
About Working in US Claims at Argo Group
- Argo Group does not treat our claims or our claims professionals as a commodity. The work we offer is challenging, diverse, and impactful.
- Our Adjusters and Managers are empowered to exercise their independent discretion and, within broad limits and authority, be creative in developing solutions and treat each case as the unique situation it is.
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- Our entire claims team works in a collaborative nature to expeditiously resolve claims. We offer a work environment that inspires innovation and is open to employee suggestions. We even offer rewards for creative and innovative ideas.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, offers frequent, integrated communication and values authentic recognition of excellence. View our 2022 Environmental, Social & Governance Report to learn more about Argo.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that results in approximately 25% of all new hires annually.