Senior Counsel at CNA
This position is responsible for providing a wide range of legal and regulatory support for CNA's Marketing and Distribution organizations and other service areas. The position will partner with colleagues in Field Operations, Channel Solutions and Operations and have primary responsibility for negotiating and drafting producer and compensation agreements, providing guidance on producer appointment and licensing compliance, and advising on regulatory matters, such as market conduct examinations and inquiries. The position will also provide strategic legal guidance and advice to senior management on matters involving CNA's distribution strategy, market strategy and operations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
- Serves as the primary legal contact for Distribution and Marketing organizations on all operational, regulatory and transactional legal matters.
- Counsels management on legal and regulatory obligations and risks in complex matters.
- Negotiates, reviews and/or drafts various agreements, including producer, compensation, and program administrator agreements.
- Provides research, legal analysis and guidance on legal questions or issues.
- Provides opinion and/or prepares position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of contractual provisions.
- Provides guidance on marketing materials, external communications and new products.
- Monitors legal, regulatory and industry developments and proactively counsels management regarding changes and their impact on the organization.
- Responds to regulatory inquiries and may be the designated liaison with regulatory agencies.
- May supervise, train, or mentor other attorneys.
SVP, Head of Legal, U.S. Businesses
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
- Senior level advanced knowledge of and experience in commercial property and casualty insurance products and coverages or other relevant insurance experience.
- Prior in-house experience at a major insurance carrier supporting distribution and marketing organizations, and/or underwriters of commercial property & casualty and specialty products, is preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to effectively interact with and influence a broad spectrum of internal and external constituencies.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills and ability to manage ambiguous situations.
- A high proficiency in time management, leadership, influence, and project management skills.
- A proven track record of results achievement, collaboration, teamwork, and negotiation skills.
Education & Experience
- Juris Doctor and Bar admission to the bar of at least one state.
- A minimum of nine years of relevant legal experience with a proven track record of results.