This position is responsible for providing a wide range of legal and regulatory support for CNA's Marketing and Distribution organizations, including the drafting and negotiation of compensation and producer agreements; guidance regarding producer appointment and licensing compliance; legal review of marketing materials; and advice on regulatory matters such as market conduct examinations, investigations, and inquiries.
This position will also be responsible for providing strategic legal guidance and advice to senior management on matters involving CNA's distribution strategy, market strategy, and operations. Work assignments consist of major legal tasks involving complex issues and facts for which considerable legal judgment, experience and independent reasoning are required.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Performs a combination of duties in accordance with departmental guidelines:
1. Counsels management on legal risks and obligations in complex matters.
2. Provides research, legal analysis, counsel and guidance on legal questions or issues.
3. Provides opinion and/or prepares position papers on various legal issues and interpretation of contractual provisions.
4. Reviews and/or drafts contracts; may review new products.
5. Monitors legal and regulatory developments; counsels management regarding changes.
6. Prepares and/or reviews documents for financial or securities transactions.
7. May manage litigation by outside counsel.
8. May supervise, train, or mentor other attorneys.
9. Works closely with clients while resolving legal issues.
10. Responds to government agencies. May be designated liaison with governmental agencies.
11. May perform additional duties as assigned.
AVP or above
Skills, Knowledge & Abilities
1. Senior level advanced knowledge of standard lines commercial property and casualty insurance products and coverages.
2. Excellent verbal and written communication, negotiation and presentation skills.
3. Excellent negotiation, consultative and facilitation skills with the ability to effectively interact with all internal and external business partners,
4. Ability to exercise independent judgement, and to work with and maintain confidential and sensitive information.
5. Excellent analytical and problem solving skills, and senior level skill in managing ambiguous situations and issues.
6. Proven ability to take a proactive long-term view of business goals and objectives in order to achieve strategic business results.
7. Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and other business-related software.
Education & Experience
1. Bachelor's degree with JD, and admission to the bar of at least one state.
2. Typically a minimum of nine years of claims and/or legal experience with a proven track record of results.