Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
Coinbase is leading the expansion of digital currency into the financial mainstream. We are building a world-class legal team to support Coinbase and its affiliates as we continue to grow the company in the U.S. and internationally. You will be working in a cutting edge and fast paced environment, where disruptive technologies and unconventional thinking are the norm. Given the nascent state of the law, novel legal guidance is needed!
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced transactional attorney to serve as Senior Counsel in our growing transactional team. This role will be highly visible throughout Coinbase, working alongside senior management - serving as lead counsel on a variety of complex first-of-kind transactions that will set precedent for the crypto industry. You will collaborate closely with business executives, product teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to move the business forward.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Draft and negotiate first-of-a-kind, highly-tailored agreements with strategic partners and sophisticated counterparties in the finance, payments and digital currency space.
- Provide practical advice on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams (Business Development/Sales, Product/Engineering, Finance/Tax, Compliance) and legal colleagues to solve problems, build partnerships, and close deals quickly.
- Develop scaled strategies for addressing risk in business-centric ways and build commercial processes that allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute their transactional and product roadmap.
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Experience structuring complex transactions and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements with strategic partners in the tech, payments, and/or finance space.
- Experience in a regulated financial services industry is a plus.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Experience working with and presenting to VP-level leadership.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Sound and practical business judgement.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to [email protected] coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [email protected] coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.