We’re Coinbase. We’re the world’s most trusted way to join the crypto revolution, serving more than 73 million accounts in more than 100 countries.
Our mission is to increase economic freedom around the world, and we couldn’t do this without hiring the best people. We’re a group of hard-working overachievers who are deeply focused on building the future of finance and Web 3.0 for our users across the globe, whether they’re trading, storing, staking or using crypto. Know those people who always lead the group project? That’s us.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for candidates who will thrive in a culture like ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, and disrupt ourselves. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our mission-focused approach to our work. Finally, we seek people who are excited to learn about and live crypto, because those are the folks who enjoy the intense moments in our sprint and recharge work culture. We’re a remote-first company looking to hire the absolute best talent all over the world.
Ready to #LiveCrypto? Who you are:
- You’ve got positive energy. You’re optimistic about the future and determined to get there.
- You’re never tired of learning. You want to be a pro in bleeding edge tech like DeFi, NFTs, DAOs, and Web 3.0.
- You appreciate direct communication. You’re both an active communicator and an eager listener - because let’s face it, you can’t have one without the other. You’re cool with candid feedback and see every setback as an opportunity to grow.
- You can pivot on the fly. Crypto is constantly evolving, so our priorities do, too. What you worked on last month may not be what you work on today, and that excites you. You’re not looking for a boring job.
- You have a “can do” attitude. Our teams create high-quality work on quick timelines. Owning a problem doesn’t scare you, but rather empowers you to take 100% responsibility for achieving our mission.
- You want to be part of a winning team. We’re stronger together, and you’re a person who embraces being pushed out of your comfort zone.
We are looking for a highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and experienced transactional attorney to serve as Senior Counsel in our growing institutional deal team. This role will be highly visible throughout Coinbase, working alongside senior management - serving as lead counsel on a variety of complex first-of-kind transactions that will set precedent for the crypto industry for institutional clients. You will collaborate closely with business executives, product teams, and Legal and Compliance department colleagues to move the business forward.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Negotiate first-of-a-kind, highly-tailored agreements with prospective institutional clients for crypto applications to traditional finance, such as prime broker services.
- Negotiate with sophisticated counterparties, such as financial institutions, hedge funds, or public companies on cutting-edge issues regarding institutional services in the digital asset space.
- Provide practical advice on legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures and company policies in a risk-tolerant, but compliance-oriented environment.
- Effectively collaborate with cross-functional teams (Institutional Sales, Product/Engineering, Finance/Tax, Compliance) and legal colleagues to solve problems, build partnerships, and close deals quickly.
- Develop scaled strategies for addressing risk in business-centric ways and build commercial processes that allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly.
- Look around corners and creatively solve problems for the business as they plan, build, and execute their transactional and product roadmap.
- Be a business partner, not just an attorney.
What we look for in you (ie. job requirements):
- Current license in a U.S. state. JD or equivalent with 8+ years of legal experience
- Interest in digital currency and blockchain technology.
- Experience structuring complex transactions and negotiating and drafting commercial agreements with strategic partners in the finance space, such as ISDAs, Credit Support Annexes, Prime Broker agreements, Account Control Agreements, etc.
- Experience in a regulated financial services industry.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams.
- Experience advising clients on risk mitigation across technology product platforms.
- Experience working with and presenting to VP-level leadership.
- Experience running deals and leading negotiations against sophisticated counterparties such as hedge funds and large corporations.
- Comfortable challenging the status quo and preconceived notions of what is possible.
- Excellent judgement, analytical rigor, clear communication, and business pragmatism.
- Top-notch analytical skills with experience owning projects from concept to finish.
- Comfort and experience with technology solutions that help you scale your practice.
- Get to “yes” approach in working with the business.
- Risk-adjusted thinking.
- Sound and practical business judgement.
- Intellectual curiosity and flexibility.
- Team-oriented and collaborative.
Nice to haves:
- Extensive experience negotiating traditional finance agreements.
- Basic existing understanding of crypto space/markets.
Notice for Colorado applicants as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20). Target annual salary for this role performed in Colorado is either $210,375 or $245,225* + target bonus + target equity + benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)).
*The exact compensation at which this job is filled will be determined by the skills and experience of qualified candidates.
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view Pay Transparency, Employee Rights and Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations[at]coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here).Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.