Senior Commercial Counsel at Fivetran
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
If you’re ready to join a dynamic engineering team that allows you to leverage your current skills, challenges you to develop new ones, and offers you the agility to grow your career, we invite you to apply.
We’re hiring for a Senior Commercial Counsel / Commercial Counsel!
Want to have an impact at one of the fastest-growing unicorn companies in the Bay Area? Join the Legal & Privacy team at Fivetran! Fivetran was recently named to the Cloud 100 list as one of the hottest cloud software companies today. We’re looking for a detail-oriented, privacy and product-obsessed commercial counsel to join our global SaaS company and growing legal team. Commercially focused, but so much more: this person will actively work with our product team and help advise them. This role can be based remotely, or out of either our Oakland or Denver offices (pending post-COVID return to work plans).
What you’ll work on: An unparalleled opportunity to bring not only your commercial contracts skills, but also your broader legal and business acumen to help us put in place processes that efficiently scale for the long term. This is a strategic role that will grow with the business, and advise on critical and broad-based areas of risk and opportunity. You’ll deep dive into our product and business model and bring this deep company knowledge into your work advising Fivetran on items big and small.
Responsibilities may include:
- All the typical responsibilities you’d expect from this role, including reviewing, marking up, and approving customer agreements, data privacy-related agreements, and vendor agreements
- Creating and updating playbooks to help drive alignment across the company on how we think about each of the types of agreements (and business relationships) that come across your desk
- Owning key template documents, including periodic revisions and improvements, and helping operationalize templates into our contracts management and automation tool (Ironclad)
- Advising on best practices for our procurement system and review and management of internal vendor agreements and relationships
- Serving as primary legal team point of contact to our entrepreneurial sales team, and taking lead on sales team education, training and communications related to any changes (or top tips and tricks) on our customer agreements
- Liaising with Fivetran’s product team to understand how any product updates may impact existing or new customer agreements
- Focusing on our terms of service approach from a practical and strategic angle, and reviewing and revising our various terms of service from time to time
- Working collaboratively with our amazing cadre of outside counsel, who are deep experts in all things Fivetran
- Other special projects given your interest areas and the needs of a rapidly scaling company & team
What we’re looking for: A process and detail-oriented commercial guru who can practice both within the four corners of an agreement, and outside of it.
Key qualities include:
- Approach to commercial counseling that recognizes this is a revenue-generating role, helping to responsibly grow the business
- Prior in-house experience as commercial counsel, or equivalent
- Ability to speak to your experience with customer agreements, including licensing terms, choice of law, jurisdiction, term, liability, confidentiality, and other commonly negotiated provisions
- A defined point of view on one or more of the commonly-negotiated provisions listed above
- A natural process orientation, and ability to speak to your experience identifying, leading and implementing one or more impactful process-related changes
- Self-motivated, creative and scrappy
- A belief and practice that no task is too big or too small
- High attention to detail
- A customer service orientation
- Curiosity that drives a desire to learn new contexts and communication styles
- Demonstrated self-initiative that drives a desire for impact and achievement
- Comfort with fast-paced environments and openness to change
- Aptitude for working with diverse stakeholders and rolling with the punches
- A healthy sense of humor
- Bonus: demonstrated experience and interest in data and privacy
Who we are: Data fuels powerful insights. We believe access to data should be as simple and reliable as utilities. We provide data power to companies big and small looking to extract their data from a variety of data sources, to be loaded into warehouses like Snowflake, Databricks, Amazon Redshift and more. Check out our customer stories to see how we help some of the world’s most innovative companies (including Docusign, Strava, and Donors Choose) superpower their data analytics capabilities with Fivetran’s modern data stack. Fivetran reached unicorn status in June 2020 when we raised a $100M Series C led by Andreessen Horowitz and General Catalyst. We power the modern data stack from our Oakland, CA headquarters with a global team grounded in integrity, initiative, and our ethos of “1 Team, 1 Dream.”
What you need to know: Title of the role to be based on relevancy of experience. Our team hires on relevant (quality of) experience, not years (volume of) experience. Not sure if you qualify but meet most of the key qualities listed above? Please apply.Perks and Benefits:
- 100% paid Medical, Dental, Vision and Basic Life Insurance. Benefits begin on your first day!
- Option of Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Savings Account (FSA)
- Generous paid time off (PTO) plus paid sick time, holidays, parental leave, and volunteer days off
- 401k match program
- Eligible donation match program
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Work-from-home equipment reimbursement for your home office setup!
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours and fun team building activities
- Pet Insurance -- and yes, you can bring your well-behaved fur babies to work
- Commuter benefits to help with transit and parking costs
We’re honored to be valued at over $1 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Integrity, Initiative, and One Team, One Dream. To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.