Product Counsel at Argo Group (Remote)
Argo Group is a leader in specialty insurance with a vibrant culture built on respect, equality, wellness and opportunity. We’re an innovative organization that’s small enough to be agile and big enough to make a difference in our industry.
Our hybrid workplace is continuously evolving to ensure all employees feel:
- Comfortable bringing their whole selves to work.
- Confident that they will be treated respectfully.
- Recognized for their performance and provided with equal opportunities to succeed.
At Argo, skill meets opportunity. If you’re wired to raise your hand and ask, “Where can I help?”, you’ll thrive with us.
Argo Group is actively searching for a Product Counsel to provide legal advice and services in support of all Underwriting Business Units and minimize legal exposure through development, review and management of insurance products. This role will report to the Chief Underwriting Counsel and Assistant General Counsel and be a part of the Office of the General Counsel. This role is based in New York, NY.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop/draft insurance forms/endorsements and manage/maintain the company’s portfolio of products for a variety of commercial and specialty lines of business in support of Underwriting Business Unit initiatives.
- Collaborate with all Underwriting Business Units to create enhancements and revisions to associated products on an account specific and portfolio basis.
- Knowledge and experience with insurance rules and filing requirements impacting insurance products
- Ability to research insurance laws and regulations, and relevant case law, and ability to interpret and apply same.
- Develop and maintain the Company’s product library with a focus towards compliance and market needs, including regulatory changes, current case law, and state insurance laws (admitted lines of business).
- Identify and research emerging issues related to the Company’s products and operations and provide recommendations to management based on relevant findings.
- Assist in data mining for executive review and continued analysis of products.
- Review, draft and/or revise more complex or specialized legal documents and correspondence.
- Perform any additional tasks or functions as may be required by General Counsel.
- JD required from an ABA accredited law school.
- Minimum of 3 years management liability, errors & omissions commercial and/or financial institutions (Standard, Specialty, and Excess & Surplus Lines) Product, Underwriting or Claims experience.
- Experience in previous product development with a focus on research and drafting;
- Very strong written and verbal communications skills; detail orientation; problem solving skills;
- Knowledge of policy forms and underwriting issues across multiple Management Liability and E&O/FI product lines;
- Proficient in the use of computer applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Some travel may be required.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
Argo Group International Holdings, Ltd. (NYSE: ARGO) is a global multiline underwriter of specialty insurance and reinsurance products in the property and casualty market. We help power the businesses that drive the world economy, offering a comprehensive line of high-quality products and services designed to meet the unique coverage and claims-handling needs of our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that embraces diversity and design thinking, relies on innovation and agility, promotes collaborative service delivery, offers frequent, integrated communication and values authentic recognition of excellence. View the latest Investor Presentation to learn more about Argo.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
Developing our employees professionally and personally strengthens our organization.
Argo Group offers an attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- A culture that recognizes performance and empowers employees to excel, offering competitive compensation and merit driven profit sharing.
- Flexible workplace policies that support employee well-being include compressed hours, flex-time, job-sharing, remote work, sabbatical leave, holiday and summer hours.
- Comprehensive health, wellness, and financial planning options that employees can tailor to meet their personal and family needs. In addition to traditional health and wellness plans, benefits include retirement savings, matching 401K (US-based employees), generous paid time off (PTO), paid caregiver and parental leave, employee assistance program (EAP), an employee stock purchase plan (ESPP) offering a 15% discount, and an array of voluntary benefits.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that offers continuous learning and professional development – Training magazine lists Argo among the Training "Top 125" Companies. Argo encourages career mobility and continuing education to pursue and maintain professional and industry designations, in addition to traditional university and higher education programs.
- An inclusive culture that develops and sponsors diverse teams, encourages cross-functional engagement and collaboration, builds community through employee resource groups (ERGs), and provides an environment that welcomes ongoing dialogue, creative innovation, professional and personal development.
- Active community outreach and volunteer programs in addition to matching charitable gifts by 100%.
- A generous Employee Referral program that has resulted in 25% of all new hires this year.