Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm is growing its content library and gaining more exposure every day. Because of this new growth, the number of contracts is climbing, and the nature of our branded relationships is becoming more complex. Copyright, trademark, and rights of publicity are underlying parts of these contracts, as well as relationships that require Calm content to be distributed on other platforms. Experience with these legal issues is crucial for candidates looking to help grow the legal team into the future.
What You’ll Do:
We are looking for an exceptional attorney who is passionate about product and committed to advancing Calm’s mission of making the world a healthier and happier place. As Product Counsel, you will embed into high-impact product initiatives for Calm’s core consumer app. You will work hand-in-hand with cross-functional stakeholders on product development teams as a dedicated legal resource who will provide agile and practical legal counsel so the team can effectively and responsibly navigate a range of legal and regulatory frameworks. This role will report to the Head of Trust, Consumer Product, Privacy & IP and will work closely with members of the product, engineering, design, and customer experience teams, among others.
- Provide agile and practical counsel on new cutting-edge products and features for the Calm app from early in the product development cycle through launch
- Work closely with and support a range of cross-functional stakeholders to enable product design flexibility while providing advice consistent with legal obligations across all relevant areas, including consumer protection, privacy, and marketing
- Build enduring and sustaining relationships with partners from Engineering, Product, Design, Customer Experience, and other teams to ensure creative and powerful product development and high impact launches
- Draft and curate clear and succinct product-related terms, FAQs, and other communications
- Build subject matter expertise on an ongoing basis across relevant and sometimes shifting regulatory frameworks so that you are best equipped to assess risk and see around corners
- Develop a deep understanding of our technology and tech stack to provide expert counsel from a informed and tech-forward perspective
Who You Are:
- Member in good standing of the California or New York Bar
- 4+ years of experience as an attorney, preferably with some experience in-house
- 2+ years of demonstrated experience providing product counseling on complex products to a variety of stakeholders, including non-lawyers
- Experience across a range of legal disciplines and global legal frameworks relevant to technology product counseling, such as consumer protection, privacy, and marketing
- Intellectually curious and deeply interested in technology
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Consummate team player who loves helping others succeed and has a can-do attitude
- Self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent at multitasking and managing competing priorities
- Adept at issue spotting and anticipating risk but does not suffer from analysis paralysis
- Experience providing product counsel in the mobile app and web app spaces
- Deep experience with consumer protection law
- Project management experience
- Undergraduate STEM major or coursework related to technology or product design
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.