Privacy Counsel at Plaid
| Washington DC
Sorry, this job was removed at 11:20 p.m. (CST) on Tuesday, May 17, 2022
At Plaid, our mission is to unlock financial freedom for everyone. There has never been a better time than now to start building the future of fintech with us. Plaid powers the tools millions of people rely on to live a healthier financial life. We work with thousands of companies like Venmo and SoFi, several of the Fortune 500, and many of the largest banks to make it easy for people to connect their financial accounts to the apps and services they want to use. Plaid’s network covers 11,000 financial institutions across the US, Canada, UK and Europe. Founded in 2013, the company is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in New York, Salt Lake City, Washington D.C., London and Amsterdam.
The Policy, Risk and Legal (“PRL”) team at Plaid works at the intersection of technology and financial services on disruptive innovations that require creative and pragmatic legal solutions. We deal with novel issues every day and work collaboratively across Plaid’s product, business, and operations teams, as well as with our customers and partners.
The PRL team is looking for a Privacy Counsel to advise the PRL team and our cross-functional partners on existing and emerging privacy laws and regulations. Based in our San Francisco HQ, New York, or Washington DC offices and reporting into Plaid’s Regulatory Counsel, you would serve a critical role in helping Plaid understand its privacy obligations and find solutions to issues that arise from an ever-evolving regulatory landscape. We’re looking for a person who is equally comfortable presenting to senior leaders and regulators as they are rolling up their sleeves and diving into the details of individual processes and customers. If you’re interested in a forward-thinking role within an ambitious and dynamic company, let’s chat!
What excites you:
- Being a subject matter expert on domestic privacy laws and regulations.
- Working closing with other members of PRL to develop and improve policies, procedures, and trainings to facilitate Plaid’s compliance with ever-evolving privacy and data protection laws.
- Working collaboratively with cross-functional partners, including the Commercial Legal, Design, Engineering, Financial Access, Growth, Marketing, Product, Risk, Sales, and Support Teams, to develop creative solutions to complex challenges.
- Representing Plaid externally before regulators, key stakeholders, and external privacy counsel to explain Plaid’s privacy practices.
- Serving as the key point of contact for privacy-related questions that arise in contract negotiations, as well as from Plaid’s Risk and Consumer Support teams.
- Serving as the key point of contact for the marketing team as they create content that accurately reflects Plaid’s practices and vision.
- Staying up-to-date on regulatory and policy developments relevant to fintech and growth stage companies.
What excites us:
- JD from an accredited law school and licensed to practice in the US.
- 5+ years of experience as a practicing lawyer working on data protection and privacy issues, ideally on behalf of a technology and/or financial company.
- Substantive knowledge of domestic financial data privacy laws and regulations, including the GLBA Financial Privacy Rule and CalFIPA, as well as other state privacy laws including the CCPA and CPRA; bonus points for having a working knowledge of international privacy laws as well.
- Substantive knowledge of state and federal UDAP statutes and demonstrated ability to guide marketing partners in creating clear and representative content.
- Ability to distill complicated and sometimes conflicting legal obligations into practical and risk-adjusted advice for companies at Plaid’s stage.
- Proactive self-starter who enjoys collaborative work environments and partnering with stakeholders.
- Willingness to roll up sleeves (no job too big or too small).
- Excellent issue-spotter who can analyze legal issues from various angles, draft key documents, and communicate clearly and efficiently.
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills.
Plaid is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and values diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, religion or religious belief, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, military or veteran status, disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state, and local laws. Plaid is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for candidates with disabilities in our recruiting process. If you need any assistance with your application or interviews due to a disability, please let us know at [email protected]
Please review our Candidate Privacy Notice here.
More Information on Plaid
Plaid operates in the Fintech industry. The company is located in San Francisco, CA. Plaid was founded in 2013. It has 1012 total employees. To see all 166 open jobs at Plaid, click here.
Read Full Job Description