Privacy Counsel (Remote) at Quora
[As of June 2020, Quora has become a "remote-first" company. This position can be performed remotely from anywhere in the United States, regardless of any location that might be specified above.]About Quora:
The vast majority of human knowledge is still not on the internet. Most of it is trapped in the form of personal experience in people's heads, or buried in books and research papers that only experts can access. More than a billion people use the internet, yet only a tiny fraction contribute their knowledge to it. We want to democratize access to knowledge of all kinds -- from politics to painting, cooking to coding, etymology to experiences -- so if someone out there knows something, anyone else can learn it. Our mission is to share and grow the world's knowledge, and we're building a world-class team to help us achieve this mission.About the Team:
The Quora legal team is a highly collaborative, bright and talented group of individuals who partner closely with the product and business teams to support the company’s innovation and growth. As a member of the legal team, you will have the opportunity to have high impact and growth with a best-in-class legal team.About the Role:
Quora is seeking a talented Privacy Counsel to join and support our fast-growing legal team. As Privacy Counsel, you will help to develop a world-class privacy program, advise on data and security initiatives and be a trusted advisor to the business. This role will report to the General Counsel.Responsibilities:
- Build, refine and scale privacy and data protection compliance processes and help build out our privacy-by-design program.
- Counsel business, product and engineering teams on data privacy issues.
- Lead and support regulatory investigations and responses.
- Be a cross-functional champion for privacy and data protection and close partner with our security team.
- Work closely with our product operations team to respond to data subject rights requests.
- Review and negotiate privacy-related contractual agreements, including DPAs and data addenda
- Provide support to the product and commercial teams on various projects.
- Ability to be available for meetings and impromptu communication during Quora's "coordination hours" (Mon-Fri: 9am-3pm Pacific Time). Learn why here
- J.D. or equivalent degree.
- 3+ years experience in a law firm and/or in-house experience related to privacy and consumer protection.
- Admitted to the bar and in good standing or otherwise authorized to practice law (e.g., have registered in-house status) in the state in which you are located.
- Understanding of state, federal, and international regulations related to the treatment of personal information, including but not limited to CCPA, GDPR, PIPEDA, and the ePrivacy Directive.
- Self-starter who can achieve results in a remote-first environment: highly pragmatic, detail-oriented, organized, and able to multitask in a very busy work environment.
- Track record of effective risk management and assessment risk.
- IAPP CIPP certification.
- Prior experience advising on privacy legal issues related to consumer-facing online services and online advertising.
- Prior experience designing privacy compliance programs, policies, and processes.
- Passion for Quora's mission and values
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) disclosure