Paralegal (Remote) at Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Paralegal to join our dynamic Legal Department. This role reports to the Tech Law Program Manager. As a Paralegal centered in the Tech Law team, your work will be predominantly within the Litigation and Trademark portfolios. In this role, you will work closely with the Foundation’s attorneys and a variety of legal department professionals, as well as liaising with other departments such as Advancement and Finance. You will be a key player in the vital functioning of the legal department with opportunities to learn and cover additional workflows in legal operations. Must be willing to work with a team in North American & Latin American time zones UTC-8 to UTC-4.
You are responsible for:
- Analyzing and responding to a spectrum of media law requests and demands including defamation, privacy, and intellectual property received by the Wikimedia Foundation
- Streamlining the trademark enforcement program as well as directly handling various types of trademark enforcement
- Tracking and maintaining U.S. state charitable organization registrations
- Coordinating contract requests for the Tech Law team
- Managing digital files and creating documentation
- Learning new workflows to back up the work of other paralegals, legal support staff, or counsel on other portfolios, as requested
- Assisting Foundation attorneys with research or advice in areas of technology as needed, including but not limited to: Intellectual Property, Freedom of Expression, Intermediary Liability, Data Privacy
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 2-3 years of relevant experience, or equivalent combination of college, certificate program, and/or work experience
- Clear written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and manage tasks in multiple workflows
- Ability to adapt to and learn new technologies
- Critical attention to detail, organized
- Experience managing, communicating, and working with sensitive, confidential and/or legally privileged information with appropriate discretion and care
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Previous legal experience or demonstrated interest in the fields of litigation, trademarks, or nonprofit governance
- Experience with ticketing systems such as Zendesk
- Experience with project management software such as Asana
- Proficiency in more than one language (spoken or written)
- Experience and comfort with working in a remote environment
Qualities that are important to us:
- Enthusiasm for highly collaborative workflows
- Motivated by the Wikimedia Foundation’s values
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at [email protected] or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- Silent Fridays: No scheduled meetings so you can get caught up at the end of each week
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.
News from across the Wikimedia movement
Our Commitment to Equity
This is Wikimedia Foundation
Our Tech Stack